APS sensors vs. m4/3?

I was just playing around with one of the dof calculators and comparing my current fast standard lens (Sigma 30/1.4 on a Canon) with the 25/1.4 Summilux m4/3 lens. I'm reluctant to shoot the Sigma at wider apertures than f/2 due to excessive softening, which actually makes the Summilux and the smaller m4/3 sensor capable of shallower dof if it is usable at f/1.4 (which everything I've seen and read indicates that it is). The following image shot at f/2.2 on the Sigma could therefore be theoretically the same as shooting at f/1.8 on the Summilux. Interesting...

6773782153_9881e76449_b.jpg

So, maybe selling a few things on eBay to pay for it, and with the Reserve Bank having just driven the value of the $AUS even higher...this lens on my GH1 sounds tempting...

I am currently reading Black and White Digital Photography by Christ Bucher. It is interesting to see that he has included many examples from m4/3 cameras in the book. At this level of printing I would not be able to tell the B&W m4/3 images from the DSLR images if he did not specify in his notes when they are m4/3.

Back