Are Camcorders Dead?

TCSJordan

Regular
Hey everyone,

I just finished making this little video, it has my feelings on the value of camcorders now that all our cameras can take such nice video. I used the Sony RX10 as an example of the best all-in-one package for video, but it could apply to many more cameras. What do you guys think? Do you still pack a camcorder around?

They might be. Their fate is similar to compact cameras esp seeing the latest Samsung and Sony phones w/ 4K video...

I'm impressed with the quality of videos being made on cameras.

However, a couple of features are missing that my wives video recorder has.

1. A light. If filming at night or dim light, this makes all the difference.

2. On an interchangeable lens camera, I have primes and manual zooming lenses. Try rotating a lens while filming and keeping a steady shot.

My old Sony camcorder isn't dead, just unused. I thought it was quite a thing when my daughter was young. If you are in a dark auditorium shooting with, let's say, a mu43 camera without an EVF, can you shoot off the LCD without really annoying everyone else with the light? Let's just say it's been a long time since I've been to a dance recital.:)

I have a nice mid level Panasonic camcorder that is not dead to me, though I doubt I will ever buy another one. I think it is true that many cameras can deliver better video, but a decent camcorder can still be the more efficient tool to use, depending on your goals.

I used a couple Mu/43 cameras for video for awhile, including doing the 'hack' to the Panasonic GH2…..ended up buying a camcorder…used it for awhile….sold it…have a couple of cameras I could use for vids now if I wanted, but haven't had the inclination…..:)

This is the last video that I did.

Yup. Video cameras are dead, but I'd argue that it's because most folks are tired of shooting and watching poorly shot, poorly edited, and usually boring home movies. Form factor and sensor size aren't going to change that.

Back