Are these old MF lenses worth saving?

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
I have 2 old film lenses that came with a pair of Zenit SLRs I bought many years ago. Neither of them rotate freely. They are :

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 50mm f2.9 (a tiny lens with stuck focus ring).

Helios-44-2 58mm f2 (heavy lens with stuck aperture ring).

Are either of them worth saving and any ideas on repairs - I guess WD-40 is not an option?

The Helios 44-2 *is* worth something; the lens is pretty well regarded, so I'd have it fixed. The Trioplan - a lot less so. But as you say, it's tiny - so maybe it's still worth it to some.

I'd know where to have them CLA'd around here, but I don't have any idea about your corner of the world.

Before I'd take them apart, I'd make sure they're easy to re-center; if some of the lenses are only held by other glass or some stuff is glued in, it'll be very hard to put the lenses back together.

You'll have to clean out all the old lubricants and do that very carefully if you try it yourself; after that, it's a question of how to replace them - but there are quite some resources online regarding those two steps.

M.

Don't use WD-40. Use Lighter Fluid on a Q-Tip for the stuck rings and white Lithium grease to relube. Working on these lenses is not hard, there are on-line tutorials. You need some fine screwdrivers, and an optical spanner- common on EBay, about $20.

I've been quoted $110 each - probably more than they're worth and I have a couple of OM 50 1.4s and a Konika 40 and 50 so I'm well covered for that focal length.
That's a premium price! I'd pay about half that, and I'm in Switzerland. I'd forego the CLA at that kind of money - or do it yourself. Especially since you don't lose much by trying.

M.

Back