Feedback Are we back?

If Chris' post was one of the early ones after the site came back, it was out (or down, rather) for over nine hours ... Pretty serious if it wasn't planned, but since we're dependant on the server running, everything from intentional or necessary downtime to a power outage could have caused this. @Kevin's not the type to take everything down without notice, so I guess it was something out of his control or very, very urgent. I certainly hope he's okay and things are not only up again but also resolved.

Anyhow, the site is running particularily smoothly (and not for the lack of bots or anything) - it may sound ironic, but maybe something more fundamental had to be cleared up.

M.

I checked several times (and I don't know why the second one says 'down for more than a week')

Cameraderie is down 27 May 2023.JPG

Cameraderie down 27 May 2023.JPG

Last edited:
It was unplanned. :(

I didn't realize the server wasn't responding until Saturday night local time. Saturday I was out most of day helping a family member with something and was one of those times when I was away from the keyboard and the phone was kept in the pocket.

I don't have an answer as to the what happened but, as you guys have already realized, the server wasn't responding to DNS lookups. I couldn't ping it, do an NSLOOKUP, or SSH to it. There were no notices from our hosting provider on their support pages about network issues or downtime. I also did not get any alerts from the server itself about any alerts or patches being done. Fortunately the server did respond to a restart command from the hosting provider's admin page so I was able to restart the server and it came back. Once it came back I checked the usual suspects (drive space, etc.) and everything seemed fine.

With this being a long weekend in the US (Monday is a Federal holiday, Memorial Day, so most places are closed and people are off) I was hoping to go through the server logs to see if anything reveals itself.

Back