Are we SiJ'ing next month?

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
Just a quick query, and my apologies if it has already been discussed and decided...

Is there going to be a Single in January next year?

Asking 'cos I have a new camera (and not the one you think!)

Karen, I'm really sorry to make you (of all people) unhappy - actually, we could do sort of an impromptu challenge of whatever type you wish - I'd be in myself since I have a couple of combos I'd like to sort of get an angle on (there may even be a new gear purge coming up in 2020 ...).

That said, I'd rather safe my own initiative for "SiA 20" because I really want to go full circle (January - October - July - April) before changing the rhythm again. I really want to explore all seasons - new types of subject matter have proven helpful, especially since not all of us have your reservoir of creative choices (I know I don't).

M.

I'm in - though since I have limited time (I'll be making a lot of music in the next couple of months, with January being one of the busiest ...), I'll have to pick a routine that's sufficiently fast and simple; I'll reserve the more fiddly stuff for SiA (which, in all probability, will involve working with true 14bit RAW files from the Leica M8 ...).

I'd also be grateful if "impromptu" came to mean something along the lines of: Have fun and don't push yourself too much - so, try to make it easy to participate, set up only a necessary minimum of goals and rules ... It might also make it easier for everyone to complete two challenges within a few months. "Single in" challenges tend to be rather rigorous affairs - so a more open and forgiving format might be the order of the day here ... Just my two cents, of course.

I'll be using a small and light camera with a 28mm-e lens, btw. Either the GR III or the Nikon 1 V1 with the 10mm f/2.8. And since my year starts away from home, the former's more likely to make it into my travel bag ...

M.

Not sure yet, but I might be in too. I may be up for something new after my cityscapes and my photo club will be busy preparing for the annual exhibition in March, meaning there won't be a lot of new photography in the next few months.

I'm in for a more casual form, mostly because I didn't do well in the last challenge, and would like to do April's. Maybe this will prove a way to grow somewhat more disciplined in the process.

Don’t think I will be with more 40º+ days ahead. april, probably, January, not at all. OH wait, but if we have SiJ, SiA probably wont happen, right? Because everyone will be over doing singles by then. Thanks, Bill :p

Sue, I'm imaging January to not be prescriptive about 'Single' or 'Daily'. If it is sharing the start of a new decade or as some will more correctly note, the end of a decade, I'm interested.

Like Matt, I would like to complete the 9 month cycle in April leading to a SiJ in 2021.

I am in too.
Starting in Oct. I started doing a video project. 1 sec of video a day.
Mostly using the iPhone. My overall experience doing video was minimal, so this has been a real challenge.

I have been thinking stopping it at the end of this month, so starting a single in project Jan 1 might be a nice segue back to photography.

Oh, well, so it goes ... couldn't stop myself from thinking about how to do this. Here's a proposal:

Why not call it: "2x20 for the 2020s" ("20/20" for short ;)) - Slogan: "Get your creative juices flowing and break your eye in for the next decade!" Procedure: "Your theme, your pace, your gear - your choice; just contribute as much as you can and like." And in the end, we create an 8 by 5 "poster" (or 2 by 20 "panorama" - or even a mosaic saying "20"?). At the very least, there should be a dedicated 40 piece gallery with at least one image/contributation from each and every participant - we've never made it to 40 people in any "Single in" challenge, and I've always liked Marlof's finishing move with his 6 by 5 collages. This way, *we* will make it through the month and have something to come back to as well.

The "Single in" principles (one post a day, one camera, one lens, even one theme for the whole month) should be encouraged, but not at all be made mandatory: Restrictions fuel creativity, but they may also kill it for those with less self-confidence and zeal ... Picking our favourite contributions from each personal set by consensus may lead to more thoughtful evaluation and discussion, I think. On the technical side, finding a way to make a "poster" style result work for videos would present a nice additional challenge for the technically inclined - it's definitely doable for an online version, anyway (click on each thumbnail in the poster to see the original, full size?).

Again, just my thoughts - but this is a format (and an end result) I would appreciate very much. Anyhow, I'd like to thank @Lightmancer and @Briar for bringing this up! :)

Oh, and we *will* do a Single in April - at least I will ... But I'll also try to post daily throughout January. As to the "one camera, one lens" aspect, I'd like to do that, too, but I'm not sure if it's a viable option for me this time around (I've already told you why). However, MMMV ;)

M.

EDIT: btw. Decided on the camera/lens combo: Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 (and EVF) - a modern classic.

Last edited:
So...

I absolutely agree. This idea is NOT a SiJ. It's an out-of-cycle bit of fun.

Riffing on the ideas expressed, I do like the thought of a mosaic to mark the new decade, so we are working to an objective.

Impromptu means impromptu... No rules on kit, daily participation or the like. Unleash your inner flaneur and have a bit of fun. The only stipulation is that the photos you post are taken between the first and the thirty-first of January 2020.

Ride what ya brung, when you want, as frequently as you want, and I'll set a daily thread to post in.

Each participant to pick no more than three photos at the end for their contribution to the mosaic. We can work out way 'round odd numbers with a Cameraderie logo or something.

Make sense?

Back