Fuji Are you also Panasonic GF1 owner?

Bencho

Rookie
Ladies :p and Gentlemans,

I was an owner of GF1, it was my favorite weapon for street photography.

My question goes to those who was also or still use the GF1 and also use one of the new Fuji cameras.

Are there any time or reason when you use the GF1 because the Fuji did not work or help in the situation?

And if yes, please post a pictures with example.

Thank you!

Regards,
Bencho

Ladies :p and Gentlemans,

I was an owner of GF1, it was my favorite weapon for street photography.

My question goes to those who was also or still use the GF1 and also use one of the new Fuji cameras.

Are there any time or reason when you use the GF1 because the Fuji did not work or help in the situation?

And if yes, please post a pictures with example.

Thank you!

Regards,
Bencho

I have had my GF1 for over 3 years. I like it a lot. I don't use it much now at all; mostly it is used by my daughter with the 14 and 20 lenses.

My X-Pro1 is better in every way, at least in my experience. bear in mind though that I would not describe myself as a street shooter. I do it, but it is not a main feature of what I do at all.

The XP is larger for sure, but in hand and in use, it is not any more noticeable or bulky, in my view.

Interestingly, Stephen and share a similar story. I've owned a GF1 for three years, gave it to my daughter, (for a study abroad in Scotland with the P20mm, P14-45 and the P45-200). I loved that little camera, she loves that little camera and it has replaced her Canon dSLR. I have replaced the GF1 with OM-Ds. I agree with Stephen, everything the GF1 does the XP1 is better in every way. Like Stephen, while I do not consider myself a 'street shooter', I do shoot streets.

The GF1 is much smaller than the XP1, so if you're into stealth, the GF1 is more your style than the XP1. But I'm not into stealth, so I shoot street using View Finders.

_1020759.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GF1

_1010903.jpg

GF1

S0630161.jpg

XP1

S0300087.jpg

XP1

IMG_2987-01a-L.jpg

dSLR

IMG_3042-01-L.jpg

dSLR

IMG_1564-L.jpg

dSLR

Tall%20Ship%206-L.jpg

dSLR

IMG_1582-X2.jpg

dSLR

IMG_2902-XL.jpg

dSLR

On-Broadway-3-UE-X2.jpg

Film - 35mm

On%20Broadway-9%20-%20W-X2.jpg

Film - 35mm

On%20Broadway-11%20-%20HP-X2.jpg

Film - 120mm

On-Broadway-13-UE-L.jpg

Film - 120mm

Gary

I used to own a GF1 (my first Mu43 camera), it was superb for street but a year ago I did sell it and buy the GX1 and have to say I have no regrets as the GX1 is an amazing camera that delivers the goods.

I do alternate my street work between using the GX1+25mm f1.4 and the X100, if doing close in work I prefer the X100 as it is totally silent whereas the GX1 can be heard and does draw attention sometimes, having said that, the GX1 is super fast to focus,

I have also used the 45-175X lens on the GX1 and that is a great combo for street and allows you space so as not to be too intrusive, here is a link to a series I shot with the GX1 when we visited friends in India - Taj Mahal and street shots that capture the essence of the country.
GX1 does Taj Mahal and Delhi

I used to own a GF1 (my first Mu43 camera), it was superb for street but a year ago I did sell it and buy the GX1 and have to say I have no regrets as the GX1 is an amazing camera that delivers the goods.

I do alternate my street work between using the GX1+25mm f1.4 and the X100, if doing close in work I prefer the X100 as it is totally silent whereas the GX1 can be heard and does draw attention sometimes, having said that, the GX1 is super fast to focus,

I have also used the 45-175X lens on the GX1 and that is a great combo for street and allows you space so as not to be too intrusive, here is a link to a series I shot with the GX1 when we visited friends in India - Taj Mahal and street shots that capture the essence of the country.

Thank you very much! This is great, because I am wondering also about the GX1. I much love that you posted this information. Will look everything up and let you know what I think. Later!

I have looked your wonderful captures life that you did on your visit to friends. It's good variation you did overall. I did not get borred. And was amazed by the man with carton boxes on the bike. Keep it up Ian! I still crave to buy the GX1.

Lets see who els post more interesting post on the subject of my threat.

Gary - everybody comments on #11, I think it has the telltale look and feel of shots from Robert Frank's The Americans - that was my immediate reaction to the shot. Nice work!

#11 in particular is indeed a timeless image and always a pleasure to view.

I have previously owned two GF1s; one on purpose to try out and one that came with a lens that I wanted and went soon after. I have an odd affinity with the GF1 since the look, size, feel, heft, and controls make it to me to be THE classic Micro 4/3 body. but funnily enough both in use and in output I never quite gelled with it. If Panasonic had spread the GH1 sensor throughout their other Micro 4/3 cameras at the time I might still own a GF1. Compared to a current model Fuji I wouldn't see the GF1 as potentially having any real operational advantage for street photography. You'd need to consider one of the newer Micro 4/3 bodies for that.

#11 in particular is indeed a timeless image and always a pleasure to view.

I have previously owned two GF1s; one on purpose to try out and one that came with a lens that I wanted and went soon after. I have an odd affinity with the GF1 since the look, size, feel, heft, and controls make it to me to be THE classic Micro 4/3 body. but funnily enough both in use and in output I never quite gelled with it. If Panasonic had spread the GH1 sensor throughout their other Micro 4/3 cameras at the time I might still own a GF1. Compared to a current model Fuji I wouldn't see the GF1 as potentially having any real operational advantage for street photography. You'd need to consider one of the newer Micro 4/3 bodies for that.

Thank you for your opinion. With that said, maybe GX1 is better. But I had GF1, I had beautiful pictures taken with it.

Then again it doesn't matter which 4/3 or fuji you use, it's how good you capture the moment.

That is very true, but 'better' equipment will make that capture easier and more consistent.

Gary

I agree. I'm very happy with many of my GF1 photographs, but I am much happier more often with my Fuji. I'm not saying that will be the same with everyone. I simply connec with the camera and find it a joy to use. As a result I am more effective, more often.

Of course the camera can't make up for my overall incompetence.

Back