Film Showcase Arista Premium 400

Amin

Hall of Famer
Supposedly this was rebranded Tri-X for much less $$. Sadly not made any more. I used it often with the Olympus XA.

boys.jpg

Gini.jpg

Would this be the model you recommend to buy?

If you can find it - its less retro than the older 'S' (original and no meter) and 'EE/EES/D' (selenium cell). Also has a fast f1.7 lens. Some people look for the rare 'W' (for wide) which has a 25mm lens.

You also can't go wrong with a Pen F but thats a mini-SLR - its a sweet piece of engineering.

As a simple every-day carry camera something like the EED or Mju is easily pocket-able and reasonably well contoured. Unlike the Pen Fw/ lens (unless you get the rare & expensive pancake).

P4052453.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I never tried Arista 400, but the XA is a terrific little camera. I've never owned any of the original Pens. Time to do something about that. I did process film and print from them, though.

It's sad to see a good film disappear, though we will certainly see more of it. I don't know if it was Arista, but one of the companies stopped production because their sales didn't generate the income needed to maintain the coating machinery. There's a project for a mechanically brilliant entrepreneur: make smaller volume film manufacturing equipment. Without that, I fear out choices will continue to dwindle rapidly.

I never tried Arista 400, but the XA is a terrific little camera. I've never owned any of the original Pens. Time to do something about that. I did process film and print from them, though.

It's sad to see a good film disappear, though we will certainly see more of it. I don't know if it was Arista, but one of the companies stopped production because their sales didn't generate the income needed to maintain the coating machinery. There's a project for a mechanically brilliant entrepreneur: make smaller volume film manufacturing equipment. Without that, I fear out choices will continue to dwindle rapidly.

Arista was a rebrand of Tri-X… They still have Arista EDU Ultra 100 which is FOMAPAN 100 Classic and they also have a 400 speed film..

If you can find it - its less retro than the older 'S' (original and no meter) and 'EE/EES/D' (selenium cell). Also has a fast f1.7 lens. Some people look for the rare 'W' (for wide) which has a 25mm lens.

You also can't go wrong with a Pen F but thats a mini-SLR - its a sweet piece of engineering.

As a simple every-day carry camera something like the EED or Mju is easily pocket-able and reasonably well contoured. Unlike the Pen Fw/ lens (unless you get the rare & expensive pancake).

P4052453.jpg

Thanks for the info… I'd like to eventually get one… but I have way too many as it is.. but no Half Frames :)

My biggest issue with Arista Premium 400 was that my negatives would cup really bad, which never happened with other film. I do my own scanning and, unfortunately, I could not manage good scans with this film. Good thing I didn't stock up as I was planning.

More from the EED, battery was going so some of these were super-grainy; at least my duct-tape sealed the light leaks :)

D1020006.jpg

D1020008.jpg

D1020023.jpg

D1020030.jpg

D1020040.jpg

D1020032.jpg

D1020036.jpg

I still have a few rolls. This was from a test roll in my recently acquired Voigtlander Bessamatic (and Septon 50mm f/2). Developed in Ilford DD-X: 8min @ 20º. I was worried about my fixer cause it's really old and has lots of floating bits in it :D It appears to have worked (after an 8min fix time) but I should probably get some new stuff...

33284110270_88c414c9c8_b.jpg

Nigel
by Mr. Sesser, on Flickr

33627283716_170fe942a5_b.jpg

Delux Condo
by Mr. Sesser, on Flickr

33627287356_b376c1a000_b.jpg

Time
by Mr. Sesser, on Flickr

33627291696_0d52993d73_b.jpg

You Are Here
by Mr. Sesser, on Flickr