Leica Art Gallery with Leica Q.

D

dalethorn

Another favorite art gallery in Charleston SC. Nothing special to report here other than some bad hot spots I had to tame.

Leica Q, f1.7, 1/160 handheld, ISO 200.
Leprince_Shop01_s.jpg

Dale,

A question, not a criticism (it's only because I liked the image that I clicked it up to full size for further inspection); why when viewed full-size does almost every vertical line become a zig-zag?

Click on through full size and especially have a look a the picture frames in the back left of the gallery. Is this how the camera renders or has this happened in post?

Best wishes,

Dale, A question, not a criticism (it's only because I liked the image that I clicked it up to full size for further inspection); why when viewed full-size does almost every vertical line become a zig-zag? Click on through full size and especially have a look a the picture frames in the back left of the gallery. Is this how the camera renders or has this happened in post? Best wishes,

A good question indeed. (Confession time here - beware). I use Paint Shop Pro v6 (circa 1998) for editing, and in my laziness, prior to executing any distortion corrections, I usually don't pre-resize the images to keep the jaggy things smaller. The iPhone images are worse than the Q images for sure, but even with the Q I crop often, which makes things worse.

My website where these are archived is a very generic color that I set up manually with a GNU editor, and I've discovered that editing any of these on my Macbook or my wife's Mac, that the colors become inconsistent from one place to the next, even though we set our Mac colors as generically as possible. So that's part of why I stick with PSP6 for editing. The other part is, I just won't use Adobe products, even to save my life.

Anyway, if I need to do any of these for fine art printing, I'll do less distortion correction, edit at a much larger size or resolution, or both. In the meantime, any suggestions that keep me in the lowest common denominator frame would be greatly appreciated.

Dale,

A question, not a criticism (it's only because I liked the image that I clicked it up to full size for further inspection); why when viewed full-size does almost every vertical line become a zig-zag?

Click on through full size and especially have a look a the picture frames in the back left of the gallery. Is this how the camera renders or has this happened in post?
Best wishes,

I'll be posting in Photog's Lounge in a bit, an experiment with the iPhone 6s-plus, which has an image size of 4032x3024 -- I determined the perspective correction I needed for the bridge support and train cars, then enlarged the image to 8064x6048 (2x linear), then applied the corrections, and voila! No jagged lines.

Thanks for your reply and explanation - sorry for my slow response. Keep up the good work.

It's the darndest thing - maybe only happens with old software - dunno. Anyway, doubling the size of my newer image before applying the perspective correction, I expected it to have half the jaggedness of the previous effort, but it had none. Makes me wonder if the Adobe softwares are totally immune to jagged line results under all circumstances.