Leica As old as sellotape and frozen food...

Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
Now, I feel a bit of a fraud posting this here, because this is an LTM ("Barnack") shot not an M, but there doesn't seem to be a Barnack forum around here so... :wink:

This is a bit of Autumn loveliness taken with my Leica II (D in the US). It is a 1929 "Standard", upgraded to II spec in 1934. I have had it about five years not and have added to the brassing and patina through quite a bit of use. It wears a 5cm Nickel Elmar most of the time, and lives on 400CN. I took this shot a couple of weeks ago:

View attachment 45593
...and here is the tool itself...

View attachment 45594

Great fun, and proof that oldies are still goodies. :cool:

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Jan 11, 2011
Houston, Texas
Jack
Nice!!! The photo and the camera are definitely welcome on this subforum, or any other one!!! I think I'll go shoot some film next time. I still have a few unused frames of the Ilford XP400 sitting inside my only film camera. They've been sitting in the camera for about a year now.

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2010
Down Under
Mark
ENVY, ENVY, ENVY!! You folks and your Barnacks....:hail:

Never handles one in the flesh, but is the viewfinder as small and dim as it looks?

Bill: those whites are so nice and creamy...can I ask what film you used there?

Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
ENVY, ENVY, ENVY!! You folks and your Barnacks....:hail:

Never handles one in the flesh, but is the viewfinder as small and dim as it looks?

Bill: those whites are so nice and creamy...can I ask what film you used there?
Actually, the viewfinder is very good. I've used many cameras including more than a few Ms and would rate it as very usable and certainly better than the squinty things found on the Canon G series for instance. Don't forget it is separate view- and rangefinders on the Barnacks so you do have to move your eye from one to the other to focus and compose.

The film I always use is 400CN - I love the way it renders whites, as you have spotted, and also metallic surfaces, thus:

View attachment 45908

View attachment 45909

Both shot with the Barnack I had before this one, a IIIc.

BBW

Administrator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2010
betwixt and between
BB
I'm drooling just looking at all these well cared for beauties. The closest thing to looks that I could get to is the modern X100. I am a sucker for chrome on beautiful tools/machines...and cars.:wink:

Lovely...and we do have a film thread and we do have an Open Gear forum, too. Glad you brought yours out to use, Bill! And Malcolm, you're a lucky man yourself!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom