Lens Asahi Super-Takamar

lucien

Legend
Hi I have a m42 super tak 50mm 1.8, the radioactive one no lolz. I read somewhere that you can give it a sun bathe to lower/get rid of the radioactivity. How long do I have to do this and will I lose the nice yellow sheen on the glass?

Thanks,

Is it the 55mm F1.8? I have that one. I also have the 50mm F1.4.

The Pentax 50mm F1.8 is a later lens, will not be radioactive.

In response to Brian,

It is a Asahi Opt. Co Super-Takumar 55mm1:1.8 Serial: 3661841. That would be great. I don't like to waste time doing this. And after reading about the 1/2 life it's a lost cause anyway

Is that all, The Sun will have expired and gobbled up the planet, and I'll still be around.

I just put it back in the sleeve. Lost cause. Thanks though

😲😭

Thorium is an Alpha Emitter. The radioactive elements are internal to the lens- unless you smash the glass and inhale the power, it will not hurt you.

The Radioactive v1 Summicron has Thorium glass in the front element. I keep filters on my pair of them.

Did the said person, succomb to radioactive poisoning? Or are they alive and kicking? Out of curiosity? What was the thinking, putting radioactive stuff in lens anyway? Your knowledge is very extensive

And how is the bokeh and sharpness of said lens? Are there any samples on the forum?

Thorium glass has a high index of refraction, and low chromatic dispersion. Radioactivity is slightly above background. Alpha rays are stopped by Paper. It is much less dangerous than Radium used to make Watch Hands glow.

I adapted a Pentax 50/1.4 Super-Tak to Leica M-Mount, will try to find some shots.

pentaxa.jpg

The edge-to-edge performance of the 55/1.8 is extremely good based on this 1976 test,

Thanks, basically it was the norm. And considered safe. And it was the "cutting" edge tech at the time? Am I close? If so I got it. Have to agree with the "air" stuff though esp if you live in China, India

that's the super tak. 55 1.8 m42 screw mount right?

Back