Leica At the Stables

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
I received my new to me Leica Summilux-M 35mm ASPH. the day before I left for a week long Boy Scout camp (475 mile drive). I'm still going through my photos but thought I'd share this one while visiting the stables at the camp. Leica M-E, 35 Lux ASPH. f1.4

Attachments

• 20140619-210532-©DuaneLPandorf-L1027328.jpg
    20140619-210532-©DuaneLPandorf-L1027328.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 184
Beautiful and I like it in b & w :) Perhaps you could do some comparisons when you have some time?

Hi Christilou,

I've been shooting with only the 35 ASPH. version for two weeks now. A week while at camp where the above photo was captured and a week traveling with work. You can see some photographs from my trip over at my blog.

I haven't posted photos I took while in Las Vegas again this past week as just 3 weeks ago I was there and took some photographs of the same stuff with both lenses.

I use LightRoom for 99.9% of my editing and my workflow is much faster now with this newer lens for the first comparison I can give you.

Number 2 is there is a difference in color rendering between the two. This newer version has a more "Kodachrome" look that the pre-ASPH. I feel the colors out of the camera are "richer, deeper" than the pre version.

Number 3 is there is a much more "pop" in the images too. As you probably have gathered I shoot mostly at f1.4 and use a 3 stop ND filter when the light is too bright to shoot wide open.

Its hard to argue with the size of the older pre-ASPH as its a perfect size for travel. I just couldn't shoot it wide open most of the time due the softness/glow/flare in many different lighting conditions. The other disadvantage to the pre-ASPH compared to the ASPH. version is the close focusing. When sitting across the table from anyone with the pre lens I'd have to get up and move back as the lens only focuses to 1m whereas the ASPH. version focuses to .7m. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it is to me.

Hope this helps.

Back