Attention-seeking me.

It is very hard to fight genetics but, as several people here can atest, we now have the pharmacology and medical technology to compensate in the long term. But big parts of the equation involve discovering issues before anything catastrophic happens and a willingness to make lifestyle changes. It looks like they've discovered your issues in time, Sue, and you sound willing to make the necessary changes in your life. So, as jarring as all of this is, it could actually be good news in its own way.

Oh crikey, its just *brilliant* to hear from all of you, especially those who've been there done that. I don't know whats in store, and I must admit my anxiety is getting the better of me because I'm not ready to "go" just yet. Been doing some reading and based on how he described the blockages (less than 50%) and the fact that there seems to be only two on the way, stents may just be the thing. The only thing I am still a bit peeved about is that *I* had to ask to be referred to the cardiologist. The GP was just letting it all slide. Can't really rely on her for much. Need a new one.

Australia are doing well in the Third Test in South Africa - they declared at almost 500 and now S Africa are 173 for 6 - with the world's number 1 and number 2 batmen's out, (both South Africans)

Looks like a definite "follow on"

Should cheers OZ up

I'll tell you one thing, Sue, you are so right about the support you're continuing to get on this thread. I think it really does help to hear from others who've gone through similar things, to know that you are not alone. And as it has been pointed out as much as many seem to love to complain about the field of medicine, we have come such a long way from "cupping" and leeches! OK, so they still do use leeches in some cases.;)

Keep us posted and take it one step at a time... I don't know if you can walk out your door and go for a walk, but that has always helped me and not just physically. Where we've moved to I can walk in our fields but to go for a serious walk I have to drive about 10 minutes and park...but when I do, it is exercise for the mind as well as the body.

Thinking of you and cheering you on - and I have no idea what Bill is talking about...is it cricket?

Thinking of you and cheering you on - and I have no idea what Bill is talking about...is it cricket?
I like strolling, never was into walking as an exercise for its own sake. However, that has become restricted more in the last year because of increasing issues with breathing, plus the old back pain which never quits. Its a real pain because the other thing that happens is that you dont get much variety of scenery. On the days I can get out, I'll go down to the ocean or out to the lake for some fresh air and short walk with lots of rests. And theres always the exercise bike which I need to get back on. Havent been doing that and its time I did, at least its something I *can* do which doesnt give me pain (oh except when the hips or knees are being a pest). Most times, though, its fine, as long as I keep up and keep doing it, without overdoing it.

Right now I'm sitting here with warm milk and honey because i cant sleep. GRRR.

And yes, its cricket :)

Honey - mmmmm!! Love it, especially NZ Clover Honey, I've not had sugar for years. Always a bt of honey in my tea and coffee - and on my morning concoction whatever it happens to be at the time - porridge is the brekky of choice at the moment.

I know I'm not alone in this. I guess many of us in the forum are at *that* age where things start going wrong. Crestor twice a week... yep, been there, never remembered to take it. They added ezetrol (which I dont mind) which stops absorption of fat, to a degree. My total cholesterol was never that high, its the LDL they get hysterical about.

Re beta blockers... I think I wouldn't mind taking some permanently, it was nice to have a good BP for a change, for a while.

Its good something is working. Due to my type A personality and weight, I've had high BP since I was about 18. It was always on pre-hypertensive scales. However, about 10 years ago my GP found I was running higher protiens from my kidneys and we watched it for about 6 months. I got on ACE inhibitor(lisinopril) and I have been on them since. I've had decent luck with them aside from some low BP dips I occasionally get. Its actually been difficult to regulate my BP because now regularly excercising 3 days a week. In the evenings on days I exercise my BP can run as low as 100/60 and I've almost passed out getting out of a chair. On non-exercising days my BP is 120/75.

I know some folks have really adverse reactions to them and end up on beta blockers with good success. Kidneys have been fine since.

I hope everything works out.

Australia are doing well in the Third Test in South Africa - they declared at almost 500 and now S Africa are 173 for 6 - with the world's number 1 and number 2 batmen's out, (both South Africans)

Looks like a definite "follow on"

Should cheers OZ up

If you say so. I assume this isn't a medical procedure we're talking about?

Two arteries partly blocked. Maybe they can do something with the catheter. I believe thats an option, albeit a dangerous one. Because its being done on the public purse (thank god for Medicare) I'm on a waiting list. He says its not long though. I guess he thought it fairly urgent, he only got back from hols today, and rang me at 9.30am.

It always makes a difference when you have a good doctor you can trust. Especially when you've got dangerous options to consider.

Hang in there, Sue. Do you have a friend going with you? I'm sure you've been told what to expect? We are all definitely here in our friendly pub and we'll be waiting for you to come back and tell us how it all went.

not sure if its relevant for after your procedure but Power Assisted Electric Bikes are reasonably affordable - I imagine much less strain on the knees etc but still a modicum of exercise & much faster than walking

keep thinking strong

Back