Australian Photography Rules?

Okay long plane flight with a LOT of turbulence... we felt the storm even though it had passed by the time we landed this morning [morning in Sydney]. In spite of exhaustion, a bit of shopping, driving around and the beach. Anyway I will have photos when I return.. but hello all from another side [from mine] of the world.

Lots of freedom here and lots of Photo opportunities

Don't do Military locations .. some shopping centers have restrictions .. museums no flash.

Other than that go for your life ........... :) ............ ;-)

John

Any residents or people that have been there, are there any photography rules I should be aware of on my vacation in Sydney? Are there any taboos.. like don't take photos of such and such that I should be careful of?

Also any vacationer suggestions in the Sydney area or reasonable day-drive distance would be appreciated. We've a hotel on the beach though I've heard the water's not that warm? Also see the weather is mid 70's to low 80's with a lot of storms here and there predicted. I guess we'll get wet then LOL

Okay long plane flight with a LOT of turbulence... we felt the storm even though it had passed by the time we landed this morning [morning in Sydney]. In spite of exhaustion, a bit of shopping, driving around and the beach. Anyway I will have photos when I return.. but hello all from another side [from mine] of the world.

Welcome to OZ!

I only had one no-photos incident. Went to the PM's house in the Royal Botanical.. walked in after reading the sign at the gate that said I could photograph.. and didn't see the smaller sign in the house that said I couldn't in there. I took a shot of the foyer and the gentleman there said that would be the last shot I would be taking there. Opps. I apologized. Otherwise no one, anywhere.. seemed to care what I was taking.

The trip was looooonnnng. Turbulent due to the storm that hit the area before we landed. I guess another plane from the UK had injured on it from the storm. Long flight back, again through three different storm cells. The weather there was actually unseasonably cool so that made it easier for us to adapt and a few days it did get hot. We stayed in a hotel by a beach so got some nice sunrises when I actually woke in time. There was a lot of walking, public transport into Circular Quay and the Rocks, ferry to Paramatta. We did a lot of driving too. Husband wanted to see Bathurst and the racetrack there. He drove it, I filmed, then he realized he had done it backwards haha. I drove us back in the proper direction. Went out towards Wollongong along the Sea Cliff bridge just for something scenic and also got out to Katoomba and the Blue Mountains, Leura.. that area. Walked the Sydney Harbor bridge, it was under construction, resurfacing actually, but the pedestrian and public transit lanes were open. We didn't do the climb, too much $ and they don't allow photos which was the whole reason even my husband wanted to get up there. Daughter had to see something at the Sydney Opera House and chose La Soiree.. which was a lot of fun and in spite of our last minute ticketing, we were in the front row. Thankfully not in the trajectory of David O'Mer's water flinging. Dresses you know. We didn't do the big zoo but went to a smaller preserve and got to pet the kangaroos and koalas. You have to do that you know. There was a lot of commercial/touristy stuff that got old real fast so with no game plan we just asked the locals where it was that they went for entertainment. Went to the aquarium, a couple really old cool cemeterys, Waverly Cemetery was cool, on the rocks, above ground, overlooking the sea and some really old old graves. Swam.. avoided blue bottles, got knocked over by waves and dragged across the sand [ouch! sandburn] when they retreated. Son got the sunburn of his life and looked like a car crash victim days later when his skin was falling off. Speaking of car crash we saw a hit and run, guy weaving in and out on the motorway hit another car during evening rush and.. just kept going. Hm. There were a lot of street performers because it was a summer festival and moving up on Australia day.. Also saw the Royal Botanical Gardens.. just lovely. The old Ficus trees.. I have one in a pot.. but they are just massive there with gorgeous root systems. Went into the PM's house as I said above. We were constantly moving and I lost a couple pounds because of all the exercise. Certainly not the gelato. The majority of the time it was grabbing food on the run wherever we were so there were no famous restaurants .. we did go to a Churrascaria though one night. In the beach areas etc.. so much food from different countries. We did manage though to get the fish and chips like we were told and meat pies. The meat pies were liked better. Hubby prefers NewZealand.. had to say that just to tease a few Aussies. But I think that is because he did all that wilderness stuff there where as this was more city except for the mts and such and we just aren't city people. It was the first time we did the bus or ferry thing. If we ever got to go back and I doubt that will happen but he would like to go inland and maybe towards Adelaide or Melbourne to see what is there too. It was an experience, sometimes we bickered LOL, family, but we got that one huge family trip taken care of before the younglings go their own ways. My daughter cried as we lifted off worried that she will never travel like that again and I told her it's all new for her and wide open. We [particularly my husband with work] traveled more than our parents and she will likely do the same. Also told her to consider study abroad in college this fall even though I don't want her to be so far away. And.. in spite of the over-inflated prices there we didn't fare too bad on the charge cards. One more tease to the locals, it's 'curb' not 'kerb' and 'key' not 'quay'. It really is strange to walk barefoot on the pavement - admit it. And seeing wallaby and wombat roadkill the day after the petting zoo is just.. really wrong. Nope, no desire to try a rooburger after that :D

Sounds like a good trip but I think the attraction of New Zealand over Australia is that it is has so much natural wonderment in a physically smaller size, much easier to see more. I love both places but one needs either more trips or more time to really appreciate all that Australia has to offer.

I love both places but one needs either more trips or more time to really appreciate all that Australia has to offer.

Yeah I think you're right and I did say above if it ever happened again it would be in another area to see more. But this one took 19 years in the making so..

I spent 3 days in Sydney 2 years ago waiting for a connecting flight to Port Moresby. Walked all over the city, botanical gardens, museums, parks etc. Took lots of pictures. Never had any trouble, but I tried to use common sense and common courtesy that would apply to simple humanity, not national culture. I visited a beautiful, historical cathedral there and was in awe of the architecture, but did not try to photograph it inside, it seemed rude. Same for the art museum.

I do not enjoy cities, but if I have to be stuck in one for any length of time, I choose Sydney. Spent 3 days in Melbourne once, enjoyed that as well. Can't say the same for the city of Darwin, :) ....

Back