Fuji Auto ISO images

Iansky

All-Pro
Well, day 3 of trying the camera - popped into town quickly this morning after setting the camera for Auto ISO (Max 3200 and min 1/60th).

Grabbed these 4 images ranged in ISO from 500ISO up to 3200ISO and I am very impressed.

I have converted them to B&W in my usual style but want to try and get out and do some more serious street / landscape images.

Loving it so far though!!

Through_the_window_B_W.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shaking_the_sheep_B_W.jpg

Just_looking_B_W.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Grub_up_B_W.jpg

Very nice Ian. There's something about X100 images that's just a touch more refined than any m43 camera I've ever shot with. Not sure I could say what - its not pure resolution since its the same 12mp as all but the new Pany m43 sensors. But something really nice about them. One thing to be aware of if you're not already. When you set Auto ISO with a high of 3200 and a minimum shutter speed, the regular, "manual" ISO setting governes the lowest ISO that will be used in that AUTO formulation. So, if you set it up the way you have, but still have the manual ISO set to 1600, the auto will never go lower than 1600. So, when I'm using auto, I also always set the manual ISO setting to 200 to give the auto ISO a chance to really work. You may already be aware of this, but I've seen some really experienced photographers get tripped up on that one. One guy had been shooting at 6400, set up auto the way you have it set up, and couldn't understand why it would never go below 3200 in broad daylight!

Have fun - your shots are looking great, as usual!

-Ray

Very nice Ian. There's something about X100 images that's just a touch more refined than any m43 camera I've ever shot with. Not sure I could say what - its not pure resolution since its the same 12mp as all but the new Pany m43 sensors. But something really nice about them. One thing to be aware of if you're not already. When you set Auto ISO with a high of 3200 and a minimum shutter speed, the regular, "manual" ISO setting governes the lowest ISO that will be used in that AUTO formulation. So, if you set it up the way you have, but still have the manual ISO set to 1600, the auto will never go lower than 1600. So, when I'm using auto, I also always set the manual ISO setting to 200 to give the auto ISO a chance to really work. You may already be aware of this, but I've seen some really experienced photographers get tripped up on that one. One guy had been shooting at 6400, set up auto the way you have it set up, and couldn't understand why it would never go below 3200 in broad daylight!

Have fun - your shots are looking great, as usual!

-Ray

Thanks Ray,

Your advice is very much appreciated - luckily, I had previously been shooting at 200 so as per your comment it should work anywhere between 200 - 3200.

It is advice such as this that allows me and others to get the most from the camera so I really do appreciate it and am always willing to listen/read and learn.

Glad you like the images.

Regards,
Ian

Yes, thanks Ray for bringing this up. I haven't used Auto ISO in quite some time, but the other day I did...and I knew there was something I needed to remember!

Hi Ian

Great shots. I have mine setup for auto-iso as you do. The high iso shots are so good I no longer need to worry about what it's doing - just set the aperture I want and go.

Lee

I also have my X100 set manually to 200 and the auto-ISO at 3200 with 1/60th shutter speed.

The X100 definitely has the "it." To my eyes, images from it are just much livelier (and I'm not talking about saturation) than all the other cameras I've used/use/owned/own, with the exception of the M9.

Back