Samsung Auto ISO logic, done logically

Yeah, that's a neat trick albeit a very roundabout way of doing it. Shame that it doesn't go to my magic number of 1/500 but it's close.
Yeah, that really seems to be my magic number as well. I could see for shooting sports or something with a loooong lens you could want something notably faster. But for street and the other stuff I shoot, 1/500 catches almost everything. At 1/400 I do pretty well, but I definitely get more misses than I do at 1/500. When the light gets low enough that I have to shoot down around 1/150 or something, even at 6400, I do it and try to steady myself as well as I can so I'm only dealing with my subject's motion and not my own. And I get plenty of keepers. But I get SOOOOO many more misses at those slower shutter speeds that I only use them when absolutely necessary. This is basically where higher ISO capability is most useful to me - not IQ as much as extending the possibilities for getting the shot.

-Ray

This idea may be shocking for users of Olympus cameras, but probably very familiar to owners of Fujifilm X-series bodies :D

There are those of us who own both - the corollary is that Fuji's have generally needed more help from firmware than Oly. And on this particular issue, Fuji has been rather schizophrenic, with minimum shutter speeds of up to 1/125 on the X100, X100s, XM1, and maybe (?) XA1, NO user input on this in the X-Pro or XE1, and now finally 1/500 on the XE2. I haven't seen them improve this particularly useful feature in firmware on any of them. Or add the ability to use exposure comp with auto-ISO in manual mode. They seem to be too busy getting their AF up to the level of "adequate" which a nice thing to do but not something owners of Olympus cameras have felt the need for since the days of the EP2....

Seems like most of the things we complain about with Olympus are design choices we just disagree with - with Fuji it's too often stuff that doesn't work or doesn't work well! To their credit, they do usually get around to fixing most of the problems they release their cameras with, even if it takes a massive redesign and/or repair effort as with the white orbs in the original X10 and SAB in the original X100...

-Ray

Wow this makes the 1/30th minimum shutter speed of my rx100 even more annoying! I've come to using A mode in good light, and then switching to S mode in failing light. I can't understand why an 8oz ps would follow the same 1/focal length rule as is traditional for much larger, heavier and therefore more stable cameras. IS seems to be good for a stop or two, and with speed drive mode i can pop off 3 or 4 images fast, this seems to work even down to 1/30th if I'm careful.

Back