Fuji Auto ISO

jdcohnsf

I just received a very nice silver X20 as a companion for my X Pro-1. Imagine my surprise to find that auto ISO allows one to set a minimum shutter speed. Thus I am even more puzzled as to why this feature is lacking from the X Pro-1.

Because the X20 is newer and Fuji listens to customer feedback?

The X100 had that feature though, hard as it could be to find. I don't recall whether the X10 did. And the X100s has it with all of the options finally accessible from the same ISO menu. Does the XE1? I wonder if there's something about the ILC system that they want to make sure its at least double the focal length of the lens???

-Ray

The X100 had that feature though

Yep, isn't it strange that Fuji decided to go the X10 route with the X-Pro1? They probably thought that the X100 method wasn't well-suited for cameras with varying focal lengths and zooms. User feedback proved them wrong, hence the change in the X20.

It's also notable that I don't know a single X20 user who ever complained about conventional Auto-ISO in this camera. OTOH, there was an outright shitstorm regarding this very feature and the X-Pro1/X-E1. And rightly so, because it really sucks if you ask me. Of course, it has to do with DOF and fast lenses, so an X10 isn't as affected by this as much as an X-Pro1 with a 1.4/35mm lens.

Well, although the X100s is the best auto-ISO implementation I've seen from Fuji yet, I really hope future models catch up with where the industry seems to be going for higher end cameras. Both the RX1 and Coolpix A allow for use of auto ISO and the exposure comp control in manual mode (although I wonder if the Nikon really means to - there's a weird quirk where the conventional way of accessing the exposure comp does NOT work in manual mode, but if you assign exposure comp to a different fn button it does....). And the Coolpix A also allows you to select a minimum shutter speed from 1 second to 1/1000 in aperture priority mode. The RX1 doesn't but with useable ISOs up to 12800, its so easy to just use manual mode when you want that level of control... I'd say the Coolpix A is the best implementation I've used, with the RRX1 not far behind. As much improved as the X100s is over earlier Fuji models, it felt really limited after using those two cameras. I hope the updated X-Pro allows both higher minimum shutter speeds than 1/125 and also allows use of the exposure comp dial while in manual mode using auto-ISO. It seems to be the way to go with sensors that have such amazing ISO ranges these days...

-Ray

Back