Philosophy auto iso

lucien

Legend
Hi what systems allow the camera to let the ISO float? When in Manual mode? Oly doesn't, and my old Sony a230 doesn't. Nikon does. I'm wondering what systems have auto ISO in manual mode.

Thanks,

I can't recall if my Sony's do that or not. I usually set the ISO to 80 or lower if possible when shooting manual mode to get the effect of having film in the camera sorta. I think the ability to switch ISO is one of the great advantages about digital that it has over film. No waiting for the roll to be finished or worry about 'pushing' it.

I agree but your an experienced user. I need a no brainer because it's just another setting I have to think about. It is contradictory to the word manual but........

Disappointed to read that Oly doesn't have that feature, I find it super useful. Set aperture and shutter speed, let the meter (and Exposure Compensation if you so choose) determine the ISO. Fuji's allow this.

lolz I thought it was more like the Bermuda triangle. Just kidding, it is a serious enough question that I wouldn't bother with a system that doesn't allow this. As per bartjeej, It is getting narrowed down. Nikon yes, Fuji yes

not many left. Sony not sure about their new bodies but the A230 No. Olympus No

isn't that the essence of life to learn along the journey, I might have put this in the wrong section. Let's see what happens by the end of the day.

My A7iii does have Auto ISO when a manual lens is installed. I just checked using my Minolta 58 1.4, which happened to be handy since I used it just yesterday.
I'm pretty sure the A9 does also, but not sure the A7ii does.
Hope this helps somewhat.

I think people are straying from the point. I'm not talking about manual lens. I'm talking about shooting in Manual mode. as in PSAM

My Panasonic Lumix G100 allows auto iso in manual mode. I've been using that feature a lot, mainly at high school basketball games using the Sigma 56mm f1.4.

Note--I think this is my first post. I'm fairly new here, and am here mainly to see what I can learn. I mainly take candid family photos, and what I would call easy wildlife (no extra big lenses).

Certain newer Panasonics allow it. What I look for specifically is auto-ISO in M with exposure compensation. That has been a Pentax feature for years, called TAv mode. My GX9 allowed me to do that if I remember right, using the dedicated exposure comp dial. Someone correct me if I'm not remembering correctly. The GR series also has this.

My Panasonic Lumix G100 allows auto iso in manual mode. I've been using that feature a lot, mainly at high school basketball games using the Sigma 56mm f1.4.

Note--I think this is my first post. I'm fairly new here, and am here mainly to see what I can learn. I mainly take candid family photos, and what I would call easy wildlife (no extra big lenses).
Welcome HenryBH! If you want, you can introduce yourself to the wider forum at

As for the Auto ISO quesion, it seems most modern cameras allow it, although I haven't seen any Canon users chime in yet

Back