Fuji Automagically - A few with the new X100s

The velvia simulation is better on the X100S than the X100 I think. I don't use it on the X100 -- or I don't know HOW to use it, lol. My experiments weren't to my liking. I like these though.

I think because I don't know how to use it yet.. it was being kind :D I remember the first time I used my new macro lens on my little dslr.. everything was magic. Now I have to work harder for that so maybe I really shouldn't read into the fuji book too much! Thanks! It was F2, 100 ISO (I think) Velvia and then those are 16x9, Two are macro, two are not. Nothing but resizing in ps, not even a contrast or color tweak. I pray it continues to be that easy. Oh and btw they were jpg. I forgot to turn on raw.

I think because I don't know how to use it yet.. it was being kind :D I remember the first time I used my new macro lens on my little dslr.. everything was magic. Now I have to work harder for that so maybe I really shouldn't read into the fuji book too much! Thanks! It was F2, 100 ISO (I think) Velvia and then those are 16x9, Two are macro, two are not. Nothing but resizing in ps, not even a contrast or color tweak. I pray it continues to be that easy. Oh and btw they were jpg. I forgot to turn on raw.

I shot my X100 in RAW and found that for the most part I don't need to -- even on difficult industrial shots. I don't shoot my mu-43 cams that way ever, lol. The Fuji has a really good system for making JPG images. I do touch them up in LR for color/contrast but not as much as I might, and they take it well.

I shot my X100 in RAW and found that for the most part I don't need to -- even on difficult industrial shots. I don't shoot my mu-43 cams that way ever, lol. The Fuji has a really good system for making JPG images. I do touch them up in LR for color/contrast but not as much as I might, and they take it well.

I am trying all things to see what works best. Not all of the photos I took looked as magical.. I'm guessing the light hit just right and I was at F2.. thus glow. Not sure. If they all start looking like that I might fall in love and also worry my lens is scraped up or something hehe

I can second what John says about the JPEGs. I can hit the sliders pretty darn hard......some times I stomp on 'em.....and the JPEGs can take a fair amount of torture before they fall apart. About the only time I shoot RAW with the X100 (or S) is in extreme lighting conditions where I may have to try some daring shadow recovery or something exotic.

The improved EXR II engine (as found in X100S, X20 and X-M1 cameras) features new film simulations. The new Velvia is less extreme and hence more usable.

I can second what John says about the JPEGs. I can hit the sliders pretty darn hard......some times I stomp on 'em.....and the JPEGs can take a fair amount of torture before they fall apart. About the only time I shoot RAW with the X100 (or S) is in extreme lighting conditions where I may have to try some daring shadow recovery or something exotic.

The only issues I have with the Fuji JPEGs is the smoothing of skin tones that happens at moderate to high ISOs. I find it really quite problematic. As such I always shoot RAW. If I didn't shoot a lot of photos of people though, I'd probably rely heavily on the JPEG engine.

Hi Eric. I've read a lot on both sides of the argument regarding Fuji's rendering of skin tones. I'm quite possibly a dolt (more than possibly), but what do you mean when you say smoothing of skin tones? Do you have any examples you can show so I know what to look for? Is it some noise reduction where you lose fine detail? I don't take a lot of photos of people so maybe that's why I don't see it (or maybe it's there and I just don't know what to look for). Also, I have my camera set to +2 on sharpness and -2 for noise reduction. Is it possible that those settings will keep the skin tones from being smeared?

Smoothing skin tones is not supposed to be a function of applying noise reduction. It is supposed to be a function of color gradation. The effect can be experienced by using analog portrait films that feature a gradation that is optimized for skin tones. Of course, modern digital cameras can emulate this process by offering digial film simulations that feature similar color gradations. Obviously, Fujifilm (as one the world's leading innovators of analog film emulsions) knows everything about this issue and was hence able to provide convincing film simulations, some of which are optimized for pleasing skin tone reproduction. Astia comes to mind, and of course the Pro Neg. simulations found in several new cameras.

Your images bright, colorful ... hell, they're all very nice,
But what will come later, the above are merely a slice.
A bird, some urban maybe a Dove ...
Isn't it nice to be back in love?

One pill makes you larger, And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice when she's ten feet tall

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WANNqr-vcx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought I was over my crush on Grace Slick, but after watching this clip, I'm still in love.

Back