Autumn 2017

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
DSCF9314a.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF9336a.jpg

Starting to see some more intense pockets of color creeping in here and there. This particular Red Maple has been all gold in some years . . . looks like this Autumn is going to be considerably more colorful. X-T1 + Vivitar 135mm f2.8 Close Focusing.

DSCF9470.JPG

DSCF9472.JPG

I saw a few trees changing while biking on that wooded trail on the west side of Portland last weekend, but it's not really "Fall" here yet. Though, with the raging forest fires creeping closer to downtown, I'm about ready for 55 degrees and rain, pronto. Kick 'er into gear, Mother Nature.

Went on a whirlwind Friday-Saturday trip to the highlands of WV. 4 hour trip up and back, with an overnight stay and a 14 mile hike sandwiched in there. Considered taking my bike, but decided against it. Extremely glad I made that decision. Long stretches of the hike were very rocky, and one long steep descent was so narrow it would have been impossible to even walk the bike down the mountain. Lots of foliage change up there. Combination of X30 and X-T1 + 23mm WR pics.

DSCF8516a.png

DSCF8510.jpg

DSCF9488a.jpg

DSCF9503a.jpg

DSCF9494a.jpg

Very, very dry here. The rain you see on the leaves in post #5 is the last rain we've had beyond a very brief shower a couple of weeks ago. The leaves are not looking good right now, with many trees just going from green to brown and dumping their leaves. We're supposed to have weather move in Sunday night, but I suspect it will do nothing more than liberate many trees of their leaves.
DSCF0123.JPG

DSCF0124.JPG

It's a beautiful place, and the weather could not have been better. Very peaceful, too. Although I did encounter two other family groups of cyclists, I pretty much had the place to myself for 18 miles.

Despite several inches of rain Sunday and Monday, it is still very dry around here. A lot of dead leaves already on the ground, and the good foliage is hard to find. X-T1 + XF 23mm f2.

DSCF0259-1.jpg

DSCF0265-1.jpg

A quick 345 mile round trip today with my wife and dog to visit a popular state park in the eastern highlands of WV. The weather was beautiful and so was the scenery, but we missed the peak foliage by at least a week. The park's main creek was nearly dry.

DSCF0298-1.jpg

DSCF0305-1.jpg

DSCF0307-1.jpg

Our foliage went from dull to lots of color in just a week, due to some badly needed rain and colder weather moving in. It was too late for a lot of trees though, and the blustery weather is stripping leaves fast. Certainly appreciate the beauty, though. X-T1 + 23mm F2.

DSCF0368-1.jpg

DSCF0369-1.jpg

DSCF0370-1.jpg

Back