"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

Dean Smith

Veteran
Nov 3, 2016
Neat shot! That formidably armed nose kind of reminds me of...

What type of aircraft have you shown us and where did you see it?
The plane is an A 26 (if I remember correctly) used by the Marines in the Pacific during WWII. Armament includes two 20mm canons, six 50 cal. guns, and four 30 cal. guns. The plane is part of the Commemorative Air Force and was at Kingsville NAS airshow a few years ago.

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
I think that might be the deluxe model. I was curious and looked up the history of the SG-38, and found that in most pictures the pilot is perched on what looks like a very flimsy chair, with zero protection from the elements. The version in your picture looks quite civilised by comparison!

-R

re-note

Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
I think that might be the deluxe model. I was curious and looked up the history of the SG-38, and found that in most pictures the pilot is perched on what looks like a very flimsy chair, with zero protection from the elements. The version in your picture looks quite civilised by comparison!

-R
Thanks for your interest, Richard !
As this is the only version I have ever seen in my life, I am at a loss when it was built or rebuilt that way.
To get some information I just now phoned Bernd Heuberger from Baden-Württembergischer Luftfahrtverband e.V. (BWLV) at Stuttgart. He promised to get some information from the old hands still among us and concerned with gliders mainly made out of wood. I expect some surprise and will post about it in time.

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
You can read a little bit about the SG-38 on Wikipedia:

DFS SG 38 Schulgleiter - Wikipedia

Apparently it was introduced in 1938 and about 10,000 were made, so I imagine that along the way some owners have added a rudimentary fuselage to give themselves a degree of protection against the elements. Or maybe later versions came with the fuselage.

-R

re-note

Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
a mystery plane
it looks like son of SG-38 but had a motor,behind the pilot, attached to it.
I think it must have been an experimental plane, probably designed and built by the students of Akaflieg Stuttgart.
I tried to find out about this motor glider but failed totally.

pict 038.jpg

no longer a secret when I was looking for Raab gliders a moment ago I found out about this motor glider.
from wikipedia: The Raab Krähe (English: crow) is a West German high-wing, single-seat, pusher configuration motor glider that was designed by Fritz Raab for amateur construction around 1958
for further information: Raab Krähe - Wikipedia

Last edited:

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
a mystery plane
it looks like son of SG-38 but had a motor,behind the pilot, attached to it.
I think it must have been an experimental plane, probably designed and built by the students of Akaflieg Stuttgart.
I tried to find out about this motor glider but failed totally.

View attachment 225354
Really enjoying these images Rolf.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
thanks a lot !
I might go on to entertain you, for a couple of days, with historical images from the glider scene, as I experienced it in the seventies.
Gliding with film camera in hand looking to get that shot (and in the 70s) is a pretty cool thing.

re-note

Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
Gliding with film camera in hand looking to get that shot (and in the 70s) is a pretty cool thing.
Most pictures were taken with me positioned in a double-seated glider or motor glider. I always needed a pilot to act according to my instructions and it worked nicely. I had lots of hours flying a double-seated glider with the instructor behind me, but I never soloed. Taking photos I found even more attractive and I became part of the scene for a rather long time.