"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
Brooklands Aircraft Museum

View attachment 228416Concorde flight deck
View attachment 228417
This picture reminds me of what Astronauts Bob and Doug said about the new Dragon crew capsule. "So this is what a 21st century spacecraft looks like." Three huge touchscreens and not much else. This cockpit looks like the Apollo capsules and the Space Shuttles, i.e., lots of dials and switches.

re-note

Top Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
for a break: Standard Libelle you have seen in other pictures before flying towards Gr. St. Bernhard.
This image was used, many years ago, by the British Gliding Association for their Christmas card.

Scan from the original card. The pic was taken on b&w film. The canopy had a dark green colour, this is why it looks black.

re-note

Top Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
Glider pilots clearly have nerves of steel. If I was flying an unpowered aircraft I don't think I would let the airfield out of my sight, certainly not to go exploring some mountainous cul-de-sac.

-R
Richard you are right. But flying in this mountainous area makes pilots feel ecstatic for hours.
When I was up there to take pics I experienced the same feeling and never bothered about any serious consequences.

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
Happy to see someone else doing it, but it's definitely not for me ...

There's a name in my head when I see pictures of aircraft and mountains together, and that name is Steve Fossett.

-R

re-note

Top Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
Happy to see someone else doing it, but it's definitely not for me ...

There's a name in my head when I see pictures of aircraft and mountains together, and that name is Steve Fossett.

-R
Steve Fossett was a glider pilot besides holding some other licences.
He most likely fell victim to mountain wave when he hit the downside of it and his aircraft became uncontrollable.
Glider pilots use this kind of non thermal soaring to gain extreme heights.
There is another glider pilot who did much better and saved 150 lives. It is Chesley B. Sullenberger who was experienced enough to make a water landing with the unpowered Airbus 320

tonyturley

Legend
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Stretching the limits a bit with this shot from the Scale Model Challenge 2017 :biggrin:

View attachment 232618
Leica M-E, 90mm f/4 Elmar.

View attachment 232619
Dakota and Spitfire - 75th Anniversary of Market Garden 1944-2019
Leica IIIc, 5cm f/2 Summitar, Fomapan 100
I flew model airplanes for many years. I was never into true scale models, but I knew a few people who built some incredibly precise scale models of real aircraft.

re-note

Top Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
pict 029.jpg

This is the last picture in this series.
All pics taken with Leicaflex SL mot and Elmarit-R 2,8/135 or Elmarit-R 2,8/180. Kodachrome film was used for all images.
My "career" lasted for almost ten years. During this time I was a member of the local glider club.
Photos got published in "Der Adler" a monthly mag edited by Baden-Württembergischer Luftfahrtverband, "Sailplane and Gliding" and for several years in "Der Deutsche Segelflugkalender".
When I felt that I was endangering not only myself but also the glider-pilots I terminated the project.
After this exciting period in my life I became a concert photographer when I had won the competition "Music Governs the World"

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom