"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

Thunder & Lightning Over Arizona, Davis Monthan AFB, 2016. A few shots of the Heritage Flight (P-51D, A-10, F-35A) from different angles over the next few days.
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Almost certainly for that very reason!

With the formations set up they way they are, the aircraft are offset so they're not going to normally encounter wake turbulence from the other aircraft. They'd have to fly more of a close trail position and be flying lower than the position should be to hit the wake.

We flew in wake turbulence quite a bit during formations (C-130s). Large formations made it more difficult for the aircraft at the back to avoid the dirty air. Pilots tried to stay out of it for the most part, but sometimes it was unavoidable. Not horribly bad for us normally , but could certainly cause problems for smaller aircraft. Mountain wave turbulence on the other hand... at low-level in the mountains certain wind speeds would modify or cancel a training mission.

I just toured the restored and newly reopened Ford Island Control Tower at the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum. What a great view, but they asked us not to photograph the shipyard and dock area, so I couldn't take a panorama as I'd planned. :-( Still a spectacular view and we visited the museum after that. This is not a full view of the museum because I've been there often enough to shoot almost everything several different ways. Just trying to get different views from my previous visit.

OM System OM-1 w/8-25 f4 Pro and 12-100 f4 Pro.

Album here. https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/7Z413y

52157417050_768826e403_c.jpg

Back