"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

Extending - a maneuver to open space between you and your opponent - and giving you the option to re-attack or escape.

WESTFIELDAS-2017-076-BLOWN-Edit.jpg

From the Selfridge airshow
X-T2 and XF 55-200. Really impressed with the quality of the C-AF and single point focus. But wished the EVF lag was not that long. Anyway, I am seriously impressed by the quality of this lens. Incredibly sharp. Best bang for the bucks.
By the way - this is SOOC
2017_0820_16054800.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
My track record with photographing fast moving objects with the 50-230 isn't exactly sterling, but it was still cool to watch this thing operating. It was moving so fast by #3 that I was fortunate to even keep it in the frame. Any suggestions on settings or techniques for such moments would be appreciated.

DSCF9276.jpg

DSCF9281.jpg

DSCF9282.jpg

My track record with photographing fast moving objects with the 50-230 isn't exactly sterling, but it was still cool to watch this thing operating. It was moving so fast by #3 that I was fortunate to even keep it in the frame. Any suggestions on settings or techniques for such moments would be appreciated.

View attachment 32955
View attachment 32956
View attachment 32957
Tony, from your pictures:
upload_2017-8-30_12-53-42.png

Personally, I believe that a shutter speed of 1/100 is just too slow. You can easily go to 1/1000+ with moving objects like jets. During the recent airshow I attended, i always used shutter speeds between 1/4000 and 1/8000.
Not sure how good the C-AF is on the X-T1, but with my X-T2 I use single point focus with a medium size box and the default mode 1 I believe, and works just right.
If you want to show a blurred background, probably you can stick with 1/500-1/1000s.
I would also take into account that too slow shutter speeds force small apertures (I have seen some f/16 or smaller in your shots). You lose sharpness due to diffraction at those ranges. If you want to go that slow, it would be probably worth getting a 1 to 2 stop ND filter to prevent small apertures like that. Or use a polarizer (which does about the same).
============
Correction. Looks like going to 1/500s would not really require any ND filter
upload_2017-8-30_12-56-58.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detailed post. I messed up in how I had my aperture set in the menu (AUTO + MANUAL). I typically do keep my aperture no smaller than F8, but I had been experimenting with various AF settings recently, and forgot to reset things. My experiments have led me to conclude my old way of doing things - all manual - works best for me.

Thanks for the detailed post. I messed up in how I had my aperture set in the menu (AUTO + MANUAL). I typically do keep my aperture no smaller than F8, but I had been experimenting with various AF settings recently, and forgot to reset things. My experiments have led me to conclude my old way of doing things - all manual - works best for me.
For this kind of shots yes, M with auto ISO is the way to go. But you can also try Aperture priority with auto shutter and auto ISO. The trick is to set one of the 3 auto ISO settings to a very high minimum shutter speed.

Back