"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

Through the branches
OM110050-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It was sheer luck. I was trying to photograph birds on my fence and remember looking up at this 'dot' and thinking "blimey, that's a big vapour trail".
Thanks to the war in Ukraine there's one less of them.

Last edited:
AA FLT128 PVG(Shanghai) to DFW on 04AUG2024, 787-8. I was hoping for some sun light to peek through the clouds for better lighting but no such luck.
FLT128 PVG-DFW 04FEB24OM110116.jpg
FLT128 PVG-DFW 04FEB24  OM110130.jpg
FLT128 PVG-DFW 04FEB24 OM110147.jpg
FLT128 PVG-DFW 04FEB24 OM110164.jpg
FLT128 PVG-DFW 04FEB24 OM110169.jpg
FLT128 PVG-DFW 04FEB24OM110176.jpg

Many moons ago (1993), before digital cameras were invented and your's truly could still kneel down, the RAF had a fleet of wonderful Harriers (more than enough to send 8 spare ones for a static display) which some imbecile subsequently sold off years before a viable replacement was available.

f93010.jpg

fair_93_harr.jpg

Convair B-58A Hustler 61-2080. It was the last B-58 to be delivered.

View attachment 448621
Thank you for posting this image. I likely did electronic maintenance on this ship back in the day. I was with the 43rd Bomb Wing stationed at Carswell AFB, Fort Worth TX. Don't know for sure if this specific aircraft tail number was there or not, but many of her sisters were over the years I was there. Lots of memories of the time I was there servicing these super-high speed beasts. They did require a lot of maintenance hours of for each flight hour, for sure. Where is this ship located? Appears to be on display somewhere. I doubt if more than a half-dozen exist intact at this time. 116 were built, and sadly 26 were lost along with 36 crew members due to in-flight and ground-based accidents. The aircraft type was the last to use all analog (pre-digital) computer systems and they weren't fast enough to react to the extreme speed the engines could produce. Many speed records were set by these aircraft. The most public, yet spectacular wreck happened at the Paris Airshow on 3 June 1961. I knew and worked with the wife of one of the aircrew members on that flight. Another crazy wreck occurred as I watched from my barracks window as one took off from our base around midnight. A flight-control failure caused it to drop back to the ground just as the gear came up, and that led to a spectacular fire spreading along half the runway; ejection seats worked, but dropped the aircrew back into the fire--very sad. But it was a great aircraft and served well during it's short, but active flight years. I'd love to see one of those babies up close and personal again. Thanks again for the memories.

Back