"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

110606_PTP_3137.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wife will not be afraid of anything. I have jumped out of a plane with a parachute and really did not like it. She would not hesitate to go for it. I bungee jumped once and would not do it again--EVER! A friend of ours had a bi-wing aerobatic plane and he took her up for a photographic assignment and she knew, I knew and the pilot knew it would be more than just flying over the photo subject but would also be an aerobatic exercise for her and him. He took her up the first time to get her photos, landed and she was told to give me her camera so he could show her what it was like. He took her up, down, around and when they finally landed, she said she felt great---until we got in the car on the way home. She admitted to having some nauseous feelings but had a great time. Me? You could not drag me into all the loops, rolls, etc.
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg
takeoffshooting.jpg

These WWII planes, especially Hurricanes and Spitfires give me strong vibes. When I was a kid we build "endless" number of models together with friends and played with them. It would had been dream come true to see them flying for real 😎

Last edited:
These WWII planes, especially Hurricanes and Spitfires give me strong vibes. When I was a kid we build "endless" number of models together with friends and played with them. It would have been dream come true to see them flying for real 😎
The Shuttleworth Collection has a wonderful collection of prop jobs, nothing older than the 1960's. They have aircraft dating from 1910 (which include two reproductions used in the film "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines"). Well worth a visit if travel becomes safe again.👍

Every so often we get a Hurricane or Spitfire flying overhead here. Normally it's in the summer months and at the weekend, which I suppose is when they transit to and from air shows and pass over us along the way. It's the noise of the Merlin engine which always makes me look up - when I hear that distinctive note I know there's likely a Spitfire or Hurricane approaching and then over it goes, and usually quite fast. That's the other thing about those aircraft, they're a lot faster than anything else with a propellor.

I've long since given up trying to photograph them as they come over. It all happens too quickly unless you've got a camera in your hand already and it's switched on and not in some unhelpful mode. Better just to look up and enjoy the experience.

-R

Every so often we get a Hurricane or Spitfire flying overhead here. Normally it's in the summer months and at the weekend, which I suppose is when they transit to and from air shows and pass over us along the way. It's the noise of the Merlin engine which always makes me look up - when I hear that distinctive note I know there's likely a Spitfire or Hurricane approaching and then over it goes, and usually quite fast. That's the other thing about those aircraft, they're a lot faster than anything else with a propellor.

I've long since given up trying to photograph them as they come over. It all happens too quickly unless you've got a camera in your hand already and it's switched on and not in some unhelpful mode. Better just to look up and enjoy the experience.

-R
Even when I was at an air show (when everything should be set up😵) I trusted to luck to get the shot - and spray & pray! After not going to air shows since the pandemic, I'm sure my 'skills' will be rusty as anything!

Back