"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

Cannon AFB Airshow, 2016. Thunderbirds, always a crowd favorite.
original.jpg

Still air, heat, haze, clouds and smoke from the previous pass made for some interesting lighting at times.
original.jpg

That's a nice passel of Corsairs. :cool:

I've yet to be able to catch one at an airshow.
It was at Thunder Over Michigan 2019, the theme was Corsair Crazy. There were 11 of them there, supposedly the largest gathering since the war. This photo shows 10 in the air. One wasn't there because the pilot was doing double duty in a P-51D. Lucky bastard!

48484195876_9d1235464c_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
B2_0019 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

It was at Thunder Over Michigan 2019, the theme was Corsair Crazy. There were 11 of them there, supposedly the largest gathering since the war. This photo shows 10 in the air. One wasn't there because the pilot was doing double duty in a P-51D. Lucky bastard!

View attachment 312667B2_0019 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Excellent. That would have been very cool to see and hear.

One show was supposed to have a Corsair, but he missed the show due to weather issues between his home base and the show base.

I think this link would be a start

Ah - and therein lies the answer : 1967 would have been way before the time I'd be watching Bond films :p

"The Wallis WA-116 Agile is a British autogyro developed in the early 1960s by former Royal Air Force Wing Commander Ken Wallis. The aircraft was produced in a number of variants, one of which, nicknamed Little Nellie, was flown in the 1967 James Bond film You Only Live Twice."

And I wanted to know if the armaments are just "props"
I would say yes: the guns during the film would probably be lights blinking - there isn't much room for the guns and ammunition, never mind the weight of it all!

I saw him fly this hands off at an airshow in the mid 1980's, waving at the crowd as he flew past!

Edit: just found this snippet on the Wikipedia entry for "You Only Live Twice:" Wallis piloted his invention, which was equipped with various mock-up armaments by John Stears' special effects team, during production

IMG_0113-web.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to post some aviation photos without having to dig into my archives...! Taken today in Georgetown, CA at a fly-in (apparently the theme was "primary colors" lol).

thumbnail

I really love gyrocopters so this was a treat!

thumbnail

Taken with my Tokina 11-16mm:

thumbnail
Nice photos, and love your pseudonym ...

As for:

"For some reason, my workflow screws up EXIF, sorry about that. Virtually all my bird/wildlife photos are taken with a Fujifilm X-S10 / XF70-300, sometimes with a 1.4x teleconverter. For closeups/macro I sometimes also use an XF16-80 or Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, extension tubes, Raynox 150, reverse adapter, or other wacky combinations thereof. If something looks even wackier, it was probably due to my Tokina 11-16 or TTartisans 7.5mm."
from your profile.

Have you checked that you haven't got something like "Save for Web" somewhere in your workflow? For some obscure reason, this strips out all EXIF data in Adobe programs. I can't speak for other programs, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did likewise. I know that saving to TIFF-16 in various versions of Olympus software also killed the EXIF in its totality. Maybe worth looking through your workflow and/or macros for the culprit/s?

I, personally, very much like to see the EXIF data. I find it very useful when examining and assessing a photo.

Back