"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

Thunder & Lightning Over Arizona, Davis Monthan AFB, Nov 2021. I don't recall posting the images (for today or the next few) in the dedicated thread or here, if I'm wrong let me know.

B-17 photo pass.
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice photos, and love your pseudonym ...

Thanks!

As for:

"For some reason, my workflow screws up EXIF, sorry about that. Virtually all my bird/wildlife photos are taken with a Fujifilm X-S10 / XF70-300, sometimes with a 1.4x teleconverter. For closeups/macro I sometimes also use an XF16-80 or Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, extension tubes, Raynox 150, reverse adapter, or other wacky combinations thereof. If something looks even wackier, it was probably due to my Tokina 11-16 or TTartisans 7.5mm."
from your profile.

Have you checked that you haven't got something like "Save for Web" somewhere in your workflow? For some obscure reason, this strips out all EXIF data in Adobe programs. I can't speak for other programs, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did likewise. I know that saving to TIFF-16 in various versions of Olympus software also killed the EXIF in its totality. Maybe worth looking through your workflow and/or macros for the culprit/s?

I use Capture One and have had the same problem with both V21 and 22. I save two files when editing; one TIFF-16 and one PNG. All the metadata is turned on identically in both export recipes, yet the PNG always loses the EXIF and the TIFF keeps it. But that hardly matters, because all EXIF data is then removed by Topaz, even though it's supposed to be passed through.

TL,DR: It's a mystery.

I, personally, very much like to see the EXIF data. I find it very useful when examining and assessing a photo.

Me too, but I've pretty much exhausted my patience looking at all this multiple times (including now), and I feel it's a losing battle anyway with two separate software vendors involved. So unless it becomes a requirement for posting here, I'm planning to stick with my disclaimer. 😾

Thanks!

I use Capture One and have had the same problem with both V21 and 22. I save two files when editing; one TIFF-16 and one PNG. All the metadata is turned on identically in both export recipes, yet the PNG always loses the EXIF and the TIFF keeps it. But that hardly matters, because all EXIF data is then removed by Topaz, even though it's supposed to be passed through.

TL,DR: It's a mystery.

Me too, but I've pretty much exhausted my patience looking at all this multiple times (including now), and I feel it's a losing battle anyway with two separate software vendors involved. So unless it becomes a requirement for posting here, I'm planning to stick with my disclaimer. 😾
I completely understand.

I have enough of a problem with keywording my images before I run them through one of a number of Photoshop macros I wrote, then upload to my web site. I only ever use OoC JPEGs for the web, with extremely rare exceptions. The RAWs are a starting point for all my printing though.

By getting everything as right as possible in-camera, I reduce manual PP to almost none. Life's too short - specially at my age, heading for 75 y.o.

I completely understand.

I have enough of a problem with keywording my images before I run them through one of a number of Photoshop macros I wrote, then upload to my web site. I only ever use OoC JPEGs for the web, with extremely rare exceptions. The RAWs are a starting point for all my printing though.

By getting everything as right as possible in-camera, I reduce manual PP to almost none. Life's too short - specially at my age, heading for 75 y.o.
I'm younger than you (though not much), but I genuinely enjoy processing everything, then uploading images that are exactly how I like them.

On The Other Hand: I couldn't imagine keywording everything. I sort them by category or venue into subdirectories. So on days I want a turkey photo, I just dive into that directory.

I'm guessing our minds work totally differently! 😺

@CatsAreGods When you have a Phoenix, a Unicorn and an E-Type Jaguar in the one photo, which folder do you put it in? :rofl:
Cryptozoology, obviously!
I always keep the original filename embedded in the computer filename. Then I can find all duplicates easily, and all my unicorn photos easily ... :ROFLMAO: .
That's the beauty of this approach. I never change the names; if I want to find a file I use the "Everything" program (Windows only though), and it literally finds anything, on any disk, as fast as I can type the name.

Cryptozoology, obviously!

That's the beauty of this approach. I never change the names; if I want to find a file I use the "Everything" program (Windows only though), and it literally finds anything, on any disk, as fast as I can type the name.
Obviously ... ;) .

Just love "Everything". I install it, and "Classic Start Menu", on every PC I work on.

I'm younger than you (though not much), but I genuinely enjoy processing everything

I treat processing as a therapeutic pastime. Re-editing old photos kept me occupied during lockdown, when taking new photos was not possible.
But even before that, I've always thought of the image capture process as the tip of the ice-berg. Getting to the end product is the 'journey'
I often reprocess the same image in different variations; monochrome, colour grades, hard or soft contrast etc. Endless fun for myself even
though the likelihood of anybody seeing them is very slight

Back