"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

That's very kind. It was a great airshow, but since most of the things I was interested in required insanely low shutter speeds, I've deleted rather a lot of pictures this morning - I'll just have to go to more airshows for the practice :)
oh no ! Don't delete them. Can you not try to save them with Topaz AI Sharpen? It allows for motion blur and all sorts of misadventures :)
It's such a delicate balance between slow enough shutter speed to show movement and fast enough shutter speed to get a sharp image
*you are not alone*

oh no ! Don't delete them. Can you not try to save them with Topaz AI Sharpen? It allows for motion blur and all sorts of misadventures :)
It's such a delicate balance between slow enough shutter speed to show movement and fast enough shutter speed to get a sharp image
*you are not alone*

It is indeed a balancing act.

I know I can get away with 1/320 sec with Extras/Turbo Porters, 1/200-1/250 sec with Hurricanes/Spits, but with helicopters it needs really to be 1/125sec or often less for most of them to get decent blur (got away with 1/200 on the Mils). The Osprey was at 1/125sec but was relatively large/close so I could use a shorter focal length. On a sunny day that puts you into diffraction territory with apertures or just overexpose, then you remember you are handholding an 800mm equivalent lens.

Trust me, most of my photos are well beyond rescue - but I only really want a few sharp (enough) ones of each type to choose from, and so far I'm happy :) At least it's not Fujichrome I'm burning through.

Last edited:

It is indeed a balancing act.

I know I can get away with 1/320 sec with Extras/Turbo Porters, 1/200-1/250 sec with Hurricanes/Spits, but with helicopters it needs really to be 1/125sec or often less for most of them to get decent blur (got away with 1/200 on the Mils). On a sunny day that put's you into diffraction territory with apertures or just overexpose, then you remember you are handholding an 800mm equivalent lens.

Trust me, most of my photos are well beyond rescue - but I only really want a few sharp (enough) ones of each type to choose from, and so far I'm happy :) At least it's not Fujichrome I'm burning through.
I would not like calculate how much I spent on film for air shows over the years!😂

spartan.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
John Romain taxying in Spitfire PR XI (PL983 - Lettice Curtis - Wikipedia) at Shuttleworth, October 2018:

Lettice Curtis's story is an inspiring one. Delivering aircraft of all types in WW2 "thirteen days on, two off, for sixty-two consecutive months".

Might share it with my local Sorting Office staff and posties who all downed tools and went home on Monday and Tuesday this week the moment the thermometer hit 35 deg C.

Lettice Curtis's story is an inspiring one. Delivering aircraft of all types in WW2 "thirteen days on, two off, for sixty-two consecutive months".

Might share it with my local Sorting Office staff and posties who all downed tools and went home on Monday and Tuesday this week the moment the thermometer hit 35 deg C.
Richard, quote from Ant (Ex-SAS):

"From a time when boats were made of wood;
and men were made of steel."

Last weekend there was a hot air balloon event in Joure (Fryslân). The balloons passed close to my hometown. A few mood pictures.

Start of the evening
_HVS3433a2.jpg

Clouds are coming into view
_HVS3483a2.jpg

_HVS3529a2.jpg

"Special Shapes"
_HVS3459a2.jpg

_HVS3515a2.jpg

Sunset
_HVS3496a2.jpg

Richard, is this an updated model of the C-160 (Transall)?
I thought it was a Transall at first - they look very similar. However, when you place pictures side by side, cockpit, tail, rear fuselage have obvious differences.

I suppose when you design two aeroplanes for similar roles, both will need a similar sized cargo door, similar visibility, similar engines etc etc. Chances are they're going to come out looking pretty similar. Airbuses and Boeings all look the same to me thesedays.

Goodness, the C-27J Spartan ! Yes it is. I recall an amazing sight - it must have been 2010 or thereabouts, and I think it
was validation day before the actual airshow. While locking up my car in the parking area, I heard noise overhead and
looked up just in time to see the Spartan do a *barrel roll* - my jaw dropped to the floor and for the next few days, it
was all we airshow-heads could talk about.

That a/c had been specifically prepared to do the display - everything unnecessary had been pulled out of it to make it
as lightweight as possible. Still, though : amazing!

Goodness, the C-27J Spartan ! Yes it is. I recall an amazing sight - it must have been 2010 or thereabouts, and I think it
was validation day before the actual airshow. While locking up my car in the parking area, I heard noise overhead and
looked up just in time to see the Spartan do a *barrel roll* - my jaw dropped to the floor and for the next few days, it
was all we airshow-heads could talk about.

That a/c had been specifically prepared to do the display - everything unnecessary had been pulled out of it to make it
as lightweight as possible. Still, though : amazing!
Just for you Irene -

The display pilot didn't stop at barrel rolls........

c27j_loop.jpg

Shutter speed a bit too low on this one though.

Back