avoiding (or removing) moiré

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
It was just a quick snapshot really. I wanted to test out the macro function on a lens. But now that I look at the photo large on a computer screen, the moiré really bugs me. I like the shot enough as a rough draft to attempt to do it properly. REALLY clean the LP thoroughly to remove dust. Stop the lens down a little to get a deeper DOF....work on getting the lighting right. But I don't want to spend all that time trying to get a better shot if I'm still going to get that moiré. I understand that it's the nature of shooting something with a natural repeating pattern.

Is there a reasonably simple solution is software or is there a technique I can use when shooting to avoid this?

View attachment 58756
WIIW by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Be careful, in that moire may also be caused by the computer screen, and the shot may be completely clean. In fact, unless you shot it with a camera without an AA filter, I would bet it has no moire. Also, moire can happen when you downsize for uploading to the web. Make a paper print using the original full size file to be sure.

Cheers,

Antonio

Antonio, you are right on the money. Printed out it shows no moire. Unfortunately, printed out, it looks pretty ugly. The transition from in focus to out of focus seems exaggerated and much more jarring. I think I'll try it again with everything in focus, but I'm not sure I'll like that shot either. Sometimes you just can't win.

Thanks for the suggestion Kristen. I haven't had my printer long, but the few prints I've made with it I'm quite happy with. It's still jarring to me just how different images look in print compared to screen. Some display better on screen and some look better printed for sure.

Back