Leica B&H now has Leica M-E Digital Rangefinder Camera

Hmm. Is there no interest in this? I am not interested personally since I have no M lenses, but I thought it would get more interest among those who do have such legacy glass. Am I missing something?

Interest? Sort of.

Realm of possibility? Not even remotely.

So I don't let the interest advance beyond the "sort of" level...

The Leica M series would be a wonderful thing to get into, but I like high ISO so it would have to be one of the new higher priced models and even this "budget" model is well out of my reach (without a total re-arrangement of priorities, marital status, etc). Not to mention the cost of the 2-3 really nice lenses I'd want if I had one of these bodies. So, unless I start playing (and winning) the lottery, there's just no point in interest.

-Ray

Same here. I would be interested and even have a nice lens to put on it, but it's too expensive for M-E.

I prefer autofocus most of the time, and > $2k is too much for me to spend on a 3rd most often used camera.

Perhaps Leica is getting swamped by the many other fine digital small camera options. i would rather have a Sony RX1 than the new lower priced Leica. And yes, auto focus is important to me despite the feeling of nostalgia I sometimes get about doing things the old way with manual lenses. This is a case where the machine clearly works faster and better than my aging eyes, most of the time. (But I still need my eyes for that other red dot Armanius referred to. I can almost taste the fresh venison. ;))

Being somewhat new to modern high end photo gear, when I see Leica prices my brain just rejects the data as though it were a misprint, or were in some foreign currency with a bad exchange rate. Leica costs Monopoly Money prices. Can't do any more than pause, say "wow that looks pretty" and keep moving.

Prices for m9 are dropping so better go for one second hand if interested in leica, not for me anyway, I've handled one and that grey color really makes it cheap looking, the salesman tagged "M-E" where the E stands for Economy :D

The introduction of the M-E made me very happy for two reasons: (1) Shows that Leica is willing to keep a simple body in the lineup for the more traditionalists among us, along with a more feature laden model (the new M); (2) Since it is essentially an M9 sans the frame preview lever and USB port, it means that my M9P will be supported for a good while longer.

I am not getting one because I bought an M9P back in April. I'm 99% the M isn´t in the cards for me either, but we will just have to wait and see.

Cheers,

Antonio

Back