B&W B&W Family Photos

Congrats to my niece on her engagement
9DE758D2-69C9-472A-92B5-FCC5921B4451.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Three impromptu family portraits snapped at the only outdoor Beer Garden/community-Pub in the small southern Oregon town where I live. First, my son Rafe and his wife Lina---

EP5_Sept19_21_Lina&Rafe.jpg

Then their daughter, Opal---

EP5_Sept19_21_Opal.jpg

And finally the youngest of the tribe, their son Ira---

EP5_Sept19_21_Ira.jpg

A side note for those curious: these were taken using the E-P5's in camera 'Grainy Film' monochrome jpeg setting.

My son has two children.
For each of them, in many and surprising ways, the world is an adventure. Everything you find, even a tiny dead dried crab-apple, has a story in it.

GX9_May15_Ira_with_dried_fruit.jpg

And who knew that feet - and toes - could be so strange?

GX9_May15_Opal_feet.jpg

@Bobby Tingle - Great image and I love your editing here - may I ask how you did it? (what software, any presets etc?)
This is the newer version of the 18mm, right? Looks wonderful. I have the old version - I don't know whether you ever used that?
If so, could you mention comparisons etc?
Thank you!

I'm lucky to have great window light and several victims, err test subjects to photograph. Nothing to special in the editing. I work in Capture One normally, with an occasional trial of whatever the newest version of LR is. But this image was in C1. Maybe a slight nudge in contrast and clarity. Plus the B&W conversion. For B&W, I alternate between the Fuji film sims, and the native C1 conversion. Unfortunately I do not remember which way I went on this image.

I did have the original 18mm for a short time as a hold over until the 16mm 1.4 was released. The 18mm f2 was a fun lens with it's own unique character in the images. Specs wise, the two 18mm's are in entirely different leagues. With the newer version having much faster AF, weather sealing, a better build, better sharpness and micro contrast. The original 18mm f2, was capable of great images while still being not terribly expensive. It pairs well with the 35mm 1.4 for an excellent lightweight two lens kit.

If you haven't already. You should look through the lens showcase in the Fuji section of the forum. It's great way to see what we have done, with all of the lenses. As well as get some good feedback and ask any questions you may have.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer @Bobby Tingle. After many years of LR I switched to Capture One five years ago when I first got into the Fuji X system after shooting Nikons since the 80s.

Although I have huge GAS attacks, it is impossible to keep up with new releases. So I've got the old 18 and the original 10-24 and 16mm. I have two versions of the 35... I mean, there's not enough time to go out and use them all!

@Irene McC I know what you mean about never enough time. And like you, I moved to Capture One when I switched to Fuji after many years of using Lightroom. With the only difference being that I had been shooting Canon, also since the 80s.

You have quite the capable set of lenses to work with. Of course, gas attacks could very easily add to that collection. Maybe you shouldn't look through the lens showcase threads 😄

Back