Leica B&W HDR - Aircraft portraits - Taken @ Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum

Kookie B.

Regular
Hi folks,

I'm still working on my B&W HDR technique for aircraft portraiture and I thought I'd provide two examples of my latest results.

The attached photos are of a T-33 jet trainer and a Pan Am Clipper that are on display at the Udvar-Hazy Museum. They are magnificent aircraft with highly polished aluminum skin. With both, the exterior is so reflective that is like to trying to photograph the surface of a mirror.

Technical: Leica X1, three exposures, handheld, autobracketed @ +1/-0-/-1. Digital processing in PhotoMatix and PS.

I'd appreciate your comments. HDR haters, feel free to flame away!

Regards,

Ed B.

Attachments

• T-33 @ Udvar-Hazy - Resized - 05-2014.jpg
    T-33 @ Udvar-Hazy - Resized - 05-2014.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 283
  • Pan Am Clipper @ Udvar-Hazy - Resized - v05-2014.jpg
    Pan Am Clipper @ Udvar-Hazy - Resized - v05-2014.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 250
I like them a lot but feel they would work better if there was slightly more separation from the surroundings either in terms of light levels or sharpness, this would make the aircraft really pop.

Great shot. I love that place. Actually that is also how I came to discover Leicaplace.com . While there on our family vacation, I saw a guy holding a Monochrome. Back then, I frequented Getdpi so I posted a note there asking if anyone was in UHASM that day. Someone pointed me to this site saying they think it might be Brian. And true enough, it was Brian. I even got a cameo of him in one of my pic :)

I was testing the 5cm F1.5 Nikkor-SC when Vince was there- noticed his Nikon Neck strap.

I've seen these planes almost since the place opened, the Shooting Star (T33, trainer version of the P80, later F80).

The shots have a "Solarized" look to them. Next time I am there with the M Monochrom, will shoot from the same angle.

All,

Here's another one from the series. Perhaps because of its painted skin -- a vibrant orange -- this HDR of the Grumman Gulfhawk has a very different, softer, feel than do the images created of the planes with the highly reflective skin.

The technical information is the same as of the first two.

I appreciate the comments.

Regards,

Ed

Attachments

• Gulfhawk - Resized.jpg
    Gulfhawk - Resized.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 206
Hi folks,

First, continued thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated.

For purposes of comparison -- and even though in the B&W group -- I thought it might be informative to share the original color, OOC, images (resized only). I've also included a version of the Gulfhawk in which I've done my best impression how it might look if taken with an M Monochrom.

Regards,

Ed B.

Attachments

• Pan Am Clipper_Resized - 051214 068.jpg
    Pan Am Clipper_Resized - 051214 068.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 150
  • T-33_Resized - 051214 047.jpg
    T-33_Resized - 051214 047.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Grumman Gulfhawk_Resized - 051214 116.jpg
    Grumman Gulfhawk_Resized - 051214 116.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Grumman Gulfhawk_Resized_B&W - 051214 116.jpg
    Grumman Gulfhawk_Resized_B&W - 051214 116.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 144
Rick,

> in B/W it does give these old birds a certain glamour

I hadn't thought of it from that perspective, but I'd be hard-pressed to argue with you.

Ed

Back