B&W Portraits

Had a portrait session at my local camera club last night, multiple set ups with different challenges... group with studio flash, single subject with studio flash, single subject with a speedlight, a dog with constant light and a checkerboard lighting set up. This was one of my shots from the single subject with speedlight, with the model dressed as a character from Peaky Blinders.

C&C is welcome.

View attachment 304878
I like most aspects of this and think it's a strong image (the lighting's great!) as well as quite a character to have the chance to shoot with. Interesting to see though that even at f/11, DoF (on :mu43:!) isn't enough to get the eyes into crisp focus as well. That's why I personally would have experimented with f/5.6 or so; it'd be a shame to lose some of the details, but maybe there'd be more depth to the whole image? Stacking might have worked (not my thing at all!) - or focusing on the eyes to check if a different concept might work even better. But In the light of the very cool result, this is just nit-picking.

M.

I like most aspects of this and think it's a strong image (the lighting's great!) as well as quite a character to have the chance to shoot with. Interesting to see though that even at f/11, DoF (on :mu43:!) isn't enough to get the eyes into crisp focus as well. That's why I personally would have experimented with f/5.6 or so; it'd be a shame to lose some of the details, but maybe there'd be more depth to the whole image? Stacking might have worked (not my thing at all!) - or focusing on the eyes to check if a different concept might work even better. But In the light of the very cool result, this is just nit-picking.

M.
I've got a simple explanation... 25mm lens and getting quite close, plus it was a rush job as this was at the end of the session when we were packing up ;), I had it on single point focus and didn't have the eye detection set up correctly. I had about 5 minutes to get my lighting set up and take the photos before finishing and helping to break down the rest of the sets, the first 2 minutes of which my focus point was in the top right corner :ROFLMAO:. I wish I'd have had a bit more time with him to correct some of these issues, but all-in-all I'm pleased with the photos I did get out of it.

Another photo from last week's 'Peaky Blinders' portrait shoot.
Z4190033-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back