B&W B&W: Words/No Words

P1038287.2CI.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These are from the rainy season in Laos in 2019. They are commonly referred to, in English, as "The Standing stones of Hintang", although Hin Tang means standing stones or "upright stones" . In Lao it is commonly referred to as the Hin Tang mountain or garden. . The weather was intermittently foggy, and treating the images to capture both the overcast along with the brightness of the reflections from mist and rain was a real challenge that I'm not sure I have met. But I decided to put them up. It is thought the megaliths are from 2000 years ago or more, and that they are related to the jars on the Plain of Jars. The sites have long figured in local legend, but it was only in the 1930's that Madeline Colani, an intrepid older French women working in Indochina, first applied the techniques of modern archeology to them. After that, World War II and decades of civil war during the Indochinese wars, followed by the dangers of unexploded ordnance from those conflicts, intervened. It was only in the 1990's when live ordnance slowly started being cleared that studies of the sites re-commenced. There is a lot we still don't definitively know, but they are fascinating places to visit in Laos, a country I have fallen in love with in the last decade.
View attachment 258547View attachment 258548View attachment 258549View attachment 258550View attachment 258551View attachment 258552View attachment 258553View attachment 258554View attachment 258555

Your descriptions and explanation made these images much more interesting...thanks!

Back