B&W B&W: Words/No Words

@MoonMind
Matt, please note that Gerry’s original post says, “Critiques welcome”. It’s a bit hidden under the photo.
You're actually right - I didn't see that. Fair enough - thanks for pointing it out, and sorry for targeting you!

So, I was wrong in this specific case - it really doesn't take away from what I said above, though.

We're currently discussing how to better implement an option to signify "Critique wanted" for images - but of course, in this case, your reaction was absolutely justified and correct in my view.

Maybe it's time to re-evalute the "Words/No Words" aspect of things - this is our main black and white thread, after all. I think we could agree on respecting the individual desire to get feedback over any principle - or rename the thread, removing the "Word/No Words" part.

M.

Last edited:
It is nice when the City replaces storm sewers a few blocks from my home. It is coincidentally nice for photography with binocular perspective.
tf536869.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Maybe it's time to re-evalute the "Words/No Words" aspect of things - this is our main black and white thread, after all. I think we could agree on respecting the individual desire to get feedback over any principle - or rename the thread, removing the "Word/No Words" part.
I'm very glad to hear you're considering removing the "Words/No Words" prefix because, especially to new members, it does not immediately make sense and I must admit that I still find it weird. To me it seems to mean restricting any explanatory text along with the image

You're actually right - I didn't see that. Fair enough - thanks for pointing it out, and sorry for targeting you!

So, I was wrong in this specific case - it really doesn't take away from what I said above, though.

We're currently discussing how to better implement an option to signify "Critique wanted" for images - but of course, in this case, your reaction was absolutely justified and correct in my view.

M.

Seems to me that any one posting on a public forum should expect possible critique, welcome or not 🚭

Re: renaming the thread title I could see starting a new thread titled…”C+C Welcomed”. I‘d rather not limit content to B&W only. Or in any other way i.e. landscape, portrait, color, etc.

Re: renaming the thread title I could see starting a new thread titled…”C+C Welcomed”. I‘d rather not limit content to B&W only. Or in any other way i.e. landscape, portrait, color, etc.
There are already threads for those things:

How are new members supposed to figure this out?
That's what "Words/No Words" used to mean. I agree it's not obvious, yet it's a fact.

And again: We're very cautious when it comes to what people feel is "critique". Many don't know how to give it in an acceptable fashion. That alone is reason to be careful.

Apollo's approach was okay specifically because Gerry asked for it. My reaction showed how I would have judged it without that context.

"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom to hurt" where I come from (Europe).

M.

How are new members supposed to figure this out?

That's what "Words/No Words" used to mean. I agree it's not obvious, yet it's a fact.

And again: We're very cautious when it comes to what people feel is "critique". Many don't know how to give it in an acceptable fashion. That alone is reason to be careful.

Apollo's approach was okay specifically because Gerry asked for it. My reaction showed how I would have judged it without that context.

"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom to hurt" where I come from (Europe).

M.
Matt beat me to it. Words/no words post etiquette used to be better known and understood. It has become lost through site mergers. And needs to be made easier to understand.

Back