B&W B&W: Words/No Words

Last 2 from today. Tombstone's Boothill. Original town cemetery, until the new cemetery was built, then became known as the old cemetery. Once the new cemetery was open, some families wanted their loved ones moved from the old. Didn't want them resting near gunfighters, outlaws, prostitutes, etc... so some of the bodies were exhumed and moved. The old cemetery declined, people stole grave markers and by the 1920s was in poor shape. In the late 1920s people from Tombstone and Cochise County began restoration, looked for records of burials, contacted older residents and family members. Site is as correct as it could be made. There are a number of "unknowns", and markers with just a name and date. Some with short descriptions, others with details or colorful (sometimes distasteful) limericks. The late 1920s was also the time it began being called Boothill. There are multiple "Boothill" cemeteries/ graveyards throughout the US.

View attachment 391328

View attachment 391329
You seem to be getting along with the camera well Gordo, and quickly figured out the filter game. Nice stuff.

2023-05-13 (Sat) 09-24-07.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks. Still need more experimenting. Sometimes the filter is too much for my tastes, sometimes just right, sometimes not enough. Might be able to end up using a modified "hard" custom image setting.
I think digital sensors find hard sunlight challenging to render well, especially in b&w. There's probably a combination of filter and in camera setting that would improve it, though. Does the camera let you create more JPEG files from the RAW file? Take a shot with each physical filter and then make a bunch of JPEG conversions?

I think digital sensors find hard sunlight challenging to render well, especially in b&w. There's probably a combination of filter and in camera setting that would improve it, though. Does the camera let you create more JPEG files from the RAW file? Take a shot with each physical filter and then make a bunch of JPEG conversions?

Yes, but I find it easier to drop the DNG/ PEF into DCU and make the adjustments on my computer (same settings as in-camera are in DCU). I'm hoping to eventually develop a couple base settings to transfer to camera, and be able to have some SOOC jpgs I'm happy enough with I won't have to do post unless I want to.

edit - I'll post some screen caps showing the settings in the other thread.

I did the no filter, yellow-green, orange thing right off the bat. Most of those were posted in the K3IIIMonochrome thread. Atmospheric conditions, sun angle, direction... each gives different results with each filter. Polarizer can give more or less. Still need to have a day with cumulonimbus or similar clouds for the orange + polarizer testing.

Last edited:
I don't know what that shadowing on the right side of the bird is? The sensor couldn't handle the light conditions?
IMO the sensor handles the light just fine, I think you just pushed it very far in post, and it made artifacts. Mind you I like the processing you chose very well. A more careful PP work would avoid those artifacts but it's always the tradeoff with time spent vs the image and its audience.

Back