B&W B&W: Words/No Words

190829-1030918.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fallen

Barrie

Nice shot. That little D-lux 109 is a nice little shooter, and I love the black and white that can come out of it..
Just to make it clear to everyone the camera was set to produce a standard colour output file, the black and white conversion was done in Silver Efex, the green foliage being lightened by the use of the green filter effect and adjustments made to shadows and highlight together with an adjustment of soft contrast to give a better spread to the mid tones. Unusually for me I worked that magic on the camera jpeg file rather than a jpeg produced from the raw file. However as you say Lawrence a "nice little shooter" or as I might say a little camera that punches above its weight.

Barrie

Last edited:
Just to make it clear to everyone the camera was set to produce a standard colour output file, the black and white conversion was done in Silver Efex, the green foliage being lightened by the use of the green filter effect and adjustments made to shadows and highlight together with an adjustment of soft contrast to give a better spread to the mid tones. Unusually for me I worked that magic on the camera jpeg file rather than a jpeg produced from the raw file. However as you say Lawrence a "nice little shooter" or as I might say a little camera that punches above its weight.

Barrie
Yes, my black and white are all from raw files too, some with additional processing in Silver efex, some just tweaked in Photoshop. But the files I get from the 109 seem to lend themselves to very satisfying black and white. In any event, yes the camera is "punches above its weight".

Went to largely neglected cemetery nearby that never fails to move me. There is something heroic about it. Despite the fact that "Time says nothing but I told you so..", its tributes to those who have been loved endure.
L1020823.jpg
L1020828.jpg
L1020834.jpg
L1020846 copy.jpg
L1020849-Edit.jpg
L1020851 copy.jpg

I've been thinking about taking a film camera on my next trip, in fact a rangefinder. Since I foolishly sold my Bessa R and have nothing for my Leica screw mount lenses, my choices, unless I spend money I shouldn't, is the Hasselblad 500CM, which is too big, since I'm going to take my Pen-F and Leica X too. So I got to thinking for the first time in a while of my little Olympus XA, a pretty good little shooter that weighs less than my Galaxy Note 8 phone. To make sure I wasn't waxing too fondly over it's capabilities, I went through my files of scanned negatives and checked out these, shot with HP5, my go-to 35mm film. I would probably bring HP-5. My two favorite slower films, Plus-X and Acros 100 have both bit the dust. I could use T-Max, but I just never "bonded" with it or other T-grain like films. Super XX anyone?? The XA is a blast to shoot with and won't have much effect on the 15lb. carry-on limit EVA Airlines (an most others on that route) impose. It's a definite possibility.

Attachments

• XA HP5 1.29.1416 copy_filtered.jpg
    XA HP5 1.29.1416 copy_filtered.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 35 misc15 copy_filtered.jpg
    35 misc15 copy_filtered.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 64
  • XA HP5 1.29.1405.jpg
    XA HP5 1.29.1405.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 57
  • XA HP5 1.29.1421.jpg
    XA HP5 1.29.1421.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 66
I've heard that Fuji is going to release an updated version of Acros 100 this Fall. I hope it is a good as the original. This was shot 5 years ago with my Olympus 35 SP loaded with Acros 100. Nice film. I no longer have the SP (though I may get another one), but if this new film is released before my trip at the end of November, I'll load the XA with it.

Attachments

• Image1 ending up.jpg
    Image1 ending up.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 60
Back