B&W B&W: Words/No Words

i30.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Miguel, what's the spectrum of your infra cam? And how many pickles is it?

It was done to 760nm, which was recommended to me by the gentleman who did the conversion. As I was interested only in doing black & white infrared photography, he recommended using the 760nm filter, since it has slightly more contrast than 720nm without the longer exposure times a 850nm filter would have required (which would have made handheld photos more difficult, as opposed to tripod ones).

The GX1 has a 16Mp sensor. Not as much dynamic range as the later micro four thirds sensors but, honestly that never bothered me. Before converting it to infrared, it was my main all-purpose camera for several years and I got some very good images with it.

I don't use it that often, but when I do, it always seems to give results which are somewhere between interesting and (to me, at least) surprising.

Here's what the camera + lens (+ LVF-2 external viewfinder) looks like--

GX1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The whole thing is surprisingly compact; without the external EVF, it's semi-pocketable.

It was done to 760nm, which was recommended to me by the gentleman who did the conversion. As I was interested only in doing black & white infrared photography, he recommended using the 760nm filter, since it has slightly more contrast than 720nm without the longer exposure times a 850nm filter would have required (which would have made handheld photos more difficult, as opposed to tripod ones).

The GX1 has a 16Mp sensor. Not as much dynamic range as the later micro four thirds sensors but, honestly that never bothered me. Before converting it to infrared, it was my main all-purpose camera for several years and I got some very good images with it.

I don't use it that often, but when I do, it always seems to give results which are somewhere between interesting and (to me, at least) surprising.

Here's what the camera + lens (+ LVF-2 external viewfinder) looks like--

View attachment 348127

The whole thing is surprisingly compact; without the external EVF, it's semi-pocketable.
Thanks a lot Miguel. I did a D70 @ 720nm and I get a lot of colour variation. Did you have to make a preset white balance? And add a preset into lightroom as well.

Thanks a lot Miguel. I did a D70 @ 720nm and I get a lot of colour variation. Did you have to make a preset white balance? And add a preset into lightroom as well.

No, Lucien, I never made a preset. I tend to shoot in Jpeg + RAW - for the Jpeg setting I use one of the standard 'picture' options - but when I 'develop' infrared photos in my computer, I almost always wind up using the RAW negative - and processing it individually to taste, usually starting with Lightroom, and then sometimes doing additional tweaking (usually to the contrast) in one of the Nik presets. Since I don't shoot all that much infrared, the randomness of my non-method works fine for me :)

No, Lucien, I never made a preset. I tend to shoot in Jpeg + RAW - for the Jpeg setting I use one of the standard 'picture' options - but when I 'develop' infrared photos in my computer, I almost always wind up using the RAW negative - and processing it individually to taste, usually starting with Lightroom, and then sometimes doing additional tweaking (usually to the contrast) in one of the Nik presets. Since I don't shoot all that much infrared, the randomness of my non-method works fine for me :)
are all your ir images in monochrome? Because I get purple/green/yellow/orange as well with my conversion.

Back