B&W B&W: Words/No Words

7F7836C0-7BAB-4F7E-8D0D-9DAE53A91DC4.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Two days ago, snow fell overnight and frost came. Outside the window we saw a beautiful view. I loaded an old Italian Ferrania P30 film into the analog Minolta and went to photograph. This film was made from cinematographic film used in many classic films (e.g. Federico Fellini) and is characterized by a contrasting, rather dramatic character. I wondered how to photograph winter vistas correctly with such a high-contrast, low-sensitivity film. They, after all, are also high-contrast and are often a trap for photographers. So I decided to use a lesser-known developer called POTA. This developer was originally designed to correctly photograph nuclear explosions (it has a spread of 20EV). This makes it great for contrasting negative materials. Of course, these images capture the classic old style of photography, it is not a negative with a modern, fine-grained formula. I, however, really like this less digital style, I think I've had an overabundance of those perfect, perfect digital images lately. I think the use of a better lens (this zoom is not a benchmark of quality, by the way, most kit-zooms are not outstanding designs) should definitely improve the detail and microcontrasts. I will gradually publish analog winter images in this section.

DSCF4714.jpg

Minolta Dynax 5, Minolta AF kit-zoom 28-80/3.5-5.6, Ferrania P30 (80ASA@50ASA), POTA 20°C/14'

The former city block was known as the "Graffiti Building" after it had been condemned for removal.
Over the past two years I photographed a wonderful gallery of ever changing art on the walls.
Now all that remains is rubble before a huge new project is built in its place

View attachment 373381
Strong shot, the cross in the foreground seals this one ... Kind of sobering story, too.

I think this the imported pampas grass, which has become a pest plant in NZ, rather than our native toetoe. Shame the pampas was imported, as it is very problematic in some areas of NZ.

View attachment 373382
Superficial appeal has been at the root of so many issues forever ...

M.

So so true! Pine trees are another bane to people like me in NZ! But that's about $$$$, rather than appeal ..... <sigh>
Same here, really, though the pine's at least endemic, not invasive - but its dominance is purely down to its fast growth and value as a resource, in other words: Most of them were planted. During the increasingly frequent severe storms in the last couple of years, scores of them have fallen and wreaked havoc in the surrounding forest.

M.

Back