B&W B&W: Words/No Words

DRL_0506.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Your mention of "the words/ no words principle" had me wondering what I'd missed. I had always sort of blithely assumed that it merely meant that one could share images either with or without commentary.

I went back to the first page in this thread and found this:

Is that a good encapsulation of this "principle"? Is there more (or less) to it than that? This question is meant to be directed not only at Gerard, but at anyone who has a knowledge of the history of the "W/NW" usage.

- K
The principle is way older than my personal membership in this site, but I think BBW's description can be seen as canonical. It means that critique is not what a thread is about.

To be honest: Out of respect for everyone's best efforts, I mostly adhere to the same principle no matter what type of thread I'm visiting. If you want an image to be critiqued, you can mention it in your post; if you start a new thread, you can prefix it with "Critique wanted".

So, adding information is fine, and asking about it is as well. Just remember that in the end, it's about the images - that's pretty much true for the whole site.

The latter also means that gear threads are really mainly about gear, maybe showcasing, but shouldn't be about isolating worthwile content or segmenting themes by brand. Doing that makes finding things very complicated over time - and your images prone to fade from view very quickly. The nature of the forum, i.e. it being the result of a massive merger of different brand- or mount-dedicated boards over some time, already makes for lots of image threads in gear subforums - suboptimal, but very difficult and time consuming to resolve, so it's a slow process driven by opportunity and/or issues arising. We're doing this in our spare time, after all. Anyhow, to sum up, rest assured that if you hide away great images in gear-exclusive threads, way less people will look at them.

M.

Last edited:
The principle is way older than my personal membership in this site, but I think BBW's description can be seen as canonical. It means that critique is not what a thread is about.

To be honest: Out of respect for everyone's best efforts, I mostly adhere to the same principle no matter what type of thread I'm visiting. If you want an image to be critiqued, you can mention it in your post; if you start a new thread, you can prefix it with "Critique wanted".

So, adding information is fine, so asking about it is as well. Just remember that in the end, it's about the images - that's pretty much true for the whole site.

The latter also means that gear threads are really mainly about gear, maybe showcasing, but shouldn't be about isolating worthwile content or segmenting themes by brand. Doing that makes finding things very complicated over time - and your images prone to fade from view very quickly. The nature of the forum, i.e. it being the result of a massive merger of different brand- or mount-dedicated boards over some time, already makes for lots of image threads in gear subforums - suboptimal, but very difficult and time consuming to resolve, so it's a slow process driven by opportunity and/or issues arising. We're doing this in our spare time, after all. Anyhow, to sum up, rest assured that if you hide away great images in gear-exclusive threads, way less people will look at them.

M.
Thanks for the clarification, Matt.

- K

From the existing information I understood this thread is only about 'images' and so it's not the intention to criticize or to have long discussions about photos. In my perception, 'no words' is mainly showing your photos and, when really necessary, stating a location or lens type. In my opinion, posting a comment about how beautiful or interesting an image is, is something different than posting a story of 1 or 2 A4 pages about what exactly can be seen in a photo or in this case to tell the story behind the plaque that I've photographed.

I probably misunderstood, sorry, because now I understand it seems to be allowed to post the whole story in the thread. From my point of view, adding the story behind the plaque I photographed in a separate link was a logical step, but if there are members or if the management of the forum objects to this then I will remove the link and henceforth - where appropriate - post such details directly on the forum with the image.

Gerard
Hi, Gerard, just to clarify I saw nothing wrong with anyone's actions here. I don't have any problem with your posting an image by itself, or with a description (regardless of length). I also don't see anything wrong with Irene's question about the plaque, nor your response. It also doesn't seem like any of this back and forth contravened the spirit either of @BBW's initial description of the W/NW ethos, nor of @MoonMind's clarification thereof.

My question was really just to try to educate myself about the "rules" and conventions of these threads. I was afraid I had misunderstood something and wanted to clarify lest my (future or past) actions were to offend someone or cross some boundary of acceptable behavior.

I hope my curiosity didn't cause an offense. My intention was not to correct anyone's actions but my own. Now back to the images. :)

- K

Back