B&W B&W: Words/No Words

DSCF1261.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OVI04308.JPG

Cry Me a Riverbed... wooden edition.

OVI04309.JPG

The One-Eyed Monster.

OVI04314.JPG

Very odd nipples, one sunken and one poking.

OVI04323.JPG

Coming out of the closet ... who be knocking?

OVI04332.JPG

Slow-And-Steady Spider-Man.

OVI04380.JPG

I wasn't sure if this image was going to work, bright daylight makes it more difficult to get a purpose or sense of the sky in a B&W image, at least for me.

OVI04385.JPG

Probably my last B&W image for a while. I wasn't sure if it would work because it was very bright and I ended up preferring the colour version. A tiny plant decided to grow in the crack of a broken-down wooden fence on the side of a river.

OVI04386.JPG

I don't know if I can make wildlife and nature images work in B&W as well and easily as it is for street or portrait images.

View attachment 388287
I wasn't sure if this image was going to work, bright daylight makes it more difficult to get a purpose or sense of the sky in a B&W image, at least for me.

View attachment 388289
Probably my last B&W image for a while. I wasn't sure if it would work because it was very bright and I ended up preferring the colour version. A tiny plant decided to grow in the crack of a broken-down wooden fence on the side of a river.

View attachment 388290
I don't know if I can make wildlife and nature images work in B&W as well and easily as it is for street or portrait images.
Like the images.
When converting to B&W and the sky is a little blown out or the clouds don't appear as I want, I either bring the highlights down for all the picture or use a graduated filter for the sky to darken it and bring out the sky.

I have really enjoyed the B&W pictures you have showed us lately, I am big fan of B&W so hope you keep it up!

Like the images.
When converting to B&W and the sky is a little blown out or the clouds don't appear as I want, I either bring the highlights down for all the picture or use a graduated filter for the sky to darken it and bring out the sky.

I have really enjoyed the B&W pictures you have showed us lately, I am big fan of B&W so hope you keep it up!
When I shoot sky I am very careful with the highlights, I usually either expose for them and let the shadow go as deep as they want (I can get 5 stops of shadows back easily) or I pump up the shutter speed to where I can see the brightest part of the sky just come back in contrast.
It's the nature of the grey scale, without colour the white and grey has fewer steps in shading compared to grey to black. Clouds get most of their identity in the shadows where they get their shape at the bottom or opposite side of light source.

I think I will still shoot B&W but for nice weather days and colourful subjects and wildlife I will stick to colour. I don't think my mind would life happily (and exclusively) in "B&W world" for to long.

When I shoot sky I am very careful with the highlights, I usually either expose for them and let the shadow go as deep as they want (I can get 5 stops of shadows back easily) or I pump up the shutter speed to where I can see the brightest part of the sky just come back in contrast.
It's the nature of the grey scale, without colour the white and grey has fewer steps in shading compared to grey to black. Clouds get most of their identity in the shadows where they get their shape at the bottom or opposite side of light source.

I think I will still shoot B&W but for nice weather days and colourful subjects and wildlife I will stick to colour. I don't think my mind would life happily (and exclusively) in "B&W world" for to long.
Continue to shoot in colour, you can always convert a couple later on. Here is a piece of software that I use, an older version of course. It makes a big difference than just using regular editing software. Your software should have a button/option to convert/preview the monochrome and if you like it, edit it further

It's available for trial btw. Some options. I like your monochromes

Back