Leica Baby Sparrow with the Leica Q

D

dalethorn

Normally I don't consider birding with a 28 mm lens, but I take what I can get - in this case a baby sparrow sitting on a large dumpster in the middle of town. It didn't move when I approached it, but it was gone when I returned 45 minutes later, so hopefully it was able to fly somewhere. The bird is 3 inches tall at most, and the camera about 8-9 inches distant.

Leica Q, f4.0, 1/1000 handheld macro, ISO 200.
Sparrow53_s.jpg

Amazing detail
Thanks - it isn't often I'm close like this with any camera, but the full-frame Q allows significant cropping (50 percent here) and still looks good. Normally I'd be onto a new camera by now, for more flexibility, but I'm actually liking the Q more every day.

I was actually wondering when you're going to sell your Q :)
Ha! From one who knows. Nobody is more surprised than me when it comes to the Q. I also have a Coolpix A that I got recently for the $399 selloff price, and since it has the same effective focal length, I shot quite a few with it and made a new page on my website to remind me of what it does. I was very surprised by the Coolpix A as well, and probably because I got it in much better weather than the first time 2 years ago. I certainly can't argue for the $4250 camera on the basis of its performance per dollar compared to the $399 pocket-size Coolpix A, but once someone gets over that hump and shoots with the Q, there's no need for comparison. Great size for a full-frame camera, easy to use, a wrist strap and a small bag and I'm good all day. The only caveat is, I suspect whoever designed this Q isn't involved in any of the followup, since I don't think Leica is making best efforts to sell it. RedDot Forum doesn't even have a Q section. I'm way behind on posting myself, and I've got some really good B&W's.

BTW, I usually do B&W as OOC JPEG's, and while I like the Q's renditions (low contrast and standard sharpness settings), I was never completely happy with the Monochrom's JPEG's. They had spectacular detail, but even with the best settings they didn't match the look I got from the X Vario. The Q is producing images like the X Vario, but with more detail.

I was so tempted to get the Q at one point. Luckily, they were not in stock. I think I am over it already. However, I just ended up buying an E-M5 Mark II and the 40-150mm which I am planning to use for my daughter's soccer game this fall. The things we do for our kids.

Back