Leica back when Fuji built Leicas ...

Back around 2000 I bought my first digital camera, a Leica Digilux 4.3 actually built by Fujifilm. It was a terrific little snapshooter - it had a very nice zoom lens and an exceptionally good sensor. I enjoyed using this little camera for years and was frequently amazed at how well its images stacked up against the output of larger and more capable machines.

Leica%20Open%20LoRes.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But, the little camera had some drawbacks. I like to shoot table-top close ups and the Digilux 4.3 lacked three very important features for such work:

1) It had no cable release socket or remote switch input.

2) Its retracting lens provided no place to attach my small ring-flash.

3) It had no PC or hot-shoe flash connectors.

I decided to build a solution to these problems.

Combination%20LoRes.jpg

My solution was built of aluminum plate and bar stock, some machine screws and a little scrap teak. I incorporated a Wien Peanut optical photo-slave module and a step-up adapter.

Composit%20LoRes.jpg

You can read (a PDF file) about building and using this device at:
ringflash.pdf

Woh. That is cool! Please post some pics of it as setup for shots. Also the shots taken with the setup.

Isn't it something. A few of these old cameras just have the feel and get images which make shooting them so much more satisfying than 98% of "modern" cameras.

Welcome to the forum, too!

Cameras today are more conformist than I realized. I really like the vertical body.

Back