Sigma "bad weather" Foveon shots

Thanks chelimbonod! The first one is actually one of the rare occasions I had a monopod with me.The second one is handheld. And the third shot was done by holding the camera against the hand-railing of a bridge.

What kind of monopod? I've been looking at getting one of those...

I have a Tamron monopod (this one Tamron 4-section Monopod - Digital Camera Warehouse) that I got for free with the purchase of my Nikon D80 ages ago :)
I shoot handheld most of the time, but since I started printing this year I thought I'd need to pay a bit more attention to sharpness.

This Tamron monopod works fine for me, the only thing I miss is a quick release plate. I don't walk about with the camera on it, so there's lots of fiddling involved everytime I want to use it.
I might look for one with a quick release some time... :)

Thanks everyone! Please feel free to add your own :) Could be anything from overcast days to low light and more :)

wonderful shots! did you do much processing on the first and third?

On the first on I think today that I pushed it a bit too much (but I was too lazy to make a new version so far).
It was processed in Lightroom 4. Basically I tweaked the whitebalance, added contrast and clarity to the wheat with an adjustment brush, a bit less contrast to the clouds (also with an adjustment brush), added a vignette, and some color tweaking.
To sum it up, yes :)
I can't help it, I work with pictures everyday (moving pictures, not photographs though) so I know what I want, and can't stop until I'm there (or sometimes beyond :tongue:)

The third one is from a few years ago. I still worked with SPP then. And imported into Photoshop afterwards. Where I probably did quite some noodling :)

The thing I like so much about the Sigma raw files is that they take processing really well (before they break apart). They sometimes need a bit more work. But they take it well and the results can be unique.

cheers,
Tilman

Brilliant photos, you've captured the moodiness of the overcast conditions very well. I like the dramatic composition and sky in photo 1, and the very tranquil and well-composed shot 3.

7811402334_53fccce645_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0540 by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

Great work Tilman! I'm quite impressed with what the Sigma can do. Where is the second photo on there taken? A lot of your other stuff is excellent as well. You certainly use some great equipment and lens and get the best out of them. A lot of the places you've shot are quite familiar to me.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! :) And thanks Heather for sharing a photo! Beautiful sky!

Great work Tilman! I'm quite impressed with what the Sigma can do. Where is the second photo on there taken? A lot of your other stuff is excellent as well. You certainly use some great equipment and lens and get the best out of them. A lot of the places you've shot are quite familiar to me.

Thanks John! The second photo is taken in Snowdonia, Wales. Looking down on Llyn Idwal. We had record rainfalls that time (as usual in the UK these days :tongue: ) and had to turn back shortly after, because a waterfall went across the path and there was just too much water for us to jump... :)

As far as equipment is concerned, the DP2 and DP1s are definitely my best lenses. (The only other "great" lens I have is the Nikon 105mm Macro. But that weighs twice as much as both Sigmas together. And cost more than I had to pay for both Sigmas together. :)
So when people complain about the prices of the Sigma DP's, they're not really considering that they would have to pay just as much (if not more) for an equally nice lens on a different system. (Plus I have the advantage of not needing to change lenses, I just pick one of the two and am set).

Locationwise, when I still lived in London, I shot a lot around Hampstead Heath (on my way to work or the weekend). Now we live north of London, so we explore the area there (Chiltern Hills and Midlands). Plus anything you can reach on a long weekend from there :)

some more...

the first one was at the very end of the day. We were already hastening back to reach the car before it got too dark. Handheld, 1/6th sec, ISO 800. Not pinsharp and it took some noodling to get colours back... but I like the mood very much.

6325601170_b12ee0556a_b.jpg

red ferns by tilman paulin, on Flickr

second on is from one of those typical overcast UK days... just outside Milton Keynes

7239841210_d8a2269b7a_b.jpg

the view by tilman paulin, on Flickr

this one is from a Denmark holiday... a couple of minutes later the heavens opened and we got completely drenched... :)

5299765846_80801ecbde_b.jpg

dark dunes by tilman paulin, on Flickr

Back