Pentax Bag for K-1ii

ektar

Regular
Okay first: Apologies if you've seen this posted...elsewhere...but I'm in search of a bag and am seeking learned suggestions.

I should confess that I'm sort of an anti-bag-fetishist, in that I pretty much don't like any of them. I had a lovely Peak Design backpack that I bought extra dividers for and never used. I have one of their sling bags that is fifth or sixth out of the assortment to get picked. What I use mostly is a smallish backpack that lays flat and opens completely so that I can work from a flat "container."
My "big bag" is an old Lowepro Omni Pro:
Lowepro_2000110_Omni_Pro_Camera_Bag_1232532761_100888.jpg

I think that another of these would work for the K-1ii, but I am not positive that it is deep enough top to bottom, as the K-1ii is a tall body. I want to carry the body with a standard zoom, plus the 70-200 (a truck in its own right...), maybe a flash, but definitely some other lenses plus a spare battery, charger, and maybe room for the camera battery grip. Don't care about room for a laptop or tablet. Most of the time I pick out what I'm going to take, load the bag, put it in the back of the car or the truck and go. I'll pull out what I need when inspiration strikes and leave the bag in the car. If I need something else, I walk back. Or, I take a smaller bag and load it for whatever trekking I've gotta do.

Suggestions?

Tricky question. Camera bag selection very much personal preference and trial-and-error.

What works for me with the K-3 is a camera bag that fits the 18-135mm WR, lens hood mounted, and is snug-fit. I carry the camera around always. If I am going to put a smaller lens, than it has plenty of space. I put the extra lens in my EDC non-camera backpack. I prefer it this way because the K-3 body weighs as much as my GM5 kit in a bag with the 20mm and the 35-100mm mounted, the charger, the adapter, the lens caps and a spare battery. At least with my snug-fit setup I can lower my carrying weight as much as possible.

Again, it boils down to what you prefer. What works for me may not work for others. Cheers.

Still on the hunt. Ordered a Lowepro Nova 200 AWii. Very nice bag, found at a very nice price. Just that much too small...I think. The 70-200 is a tank. It fits, but making space sort of crowds all the other lenses, and I don't know that I have practical room for such niceties as a charger to go with a spare battery, doubtfully enough room for polarizers. A flash would be a hard no. I'll look at it again tomorrow evening, but right now I'm inclined to return it, and use a backpack that I already have for the body and smaller lenses, and carry the bazooka in a case by itself (a case for which I paid nada).

I am anti-bag to an extent as well. I've tried a few and just can't get comfortable lugging then around. I do, however, like backpacks. I ended up getting the Brevitē Runner pack. They're a pretty new company and I didn't initially like the way they portray their company; it's very influencer-oriented. But I have to say, I like the bag very much. This is what it looks like:

Screenshot_20220916-101247.png

Screenshot_20220916-101256.png

The only thing I have found I have to be careful with is the effects of gravity on such a hefty camera inside the padded compartment. Basically, a heavy camera and/or lens will try to work its way down to the bottom when you're wearing it, and will overpower the Velcro bits on the dividers. So, while I don't have a heavy zoom like a 70-200, here's what I would set the bag up for:

PXL_20220916_171634180~2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Heavy camera and heavy lens can rest against the base of the bag. Plus there's a top access non-padded area for accessories and other backpacky items. There's a side access opening on the left (I oriented the camera for quick access) and a water bottle (or tripod) sleeve on the right.

Thanks for the info. I think you're right, the K-1ii will head south in a skinny minute unless it's already at the bottom. I don't need the top utility compartment, and would prefer one big opening.
Question for the many: Anybody seen a source for the velcro dividers? Preferably pretty robust ones? I found one of the Omni Pros used, but he's missing close to half of the original dividers.

Thanks for the info. I think you're right, the K-1ii will head south in a skinny minute unless it's already at the bottom. I don't need the top utility compartment, and would prefer one big opening.
Question for the many: Anybody seen a source for the velcro dividers? Preferably pretty robust ones? I found one of the Omni Pros used, but he's missing close to half of the original dividers.
Your thread popped up when I was on the K-1 images thread.

Have you already found your bag? LowePros are actually very industrial. You can't go wrong with them.

Regarding the velcro dividers, usually, packing cells provide extra velcro dividers. I use extra ones from another packing cell for my EDC backpack.

I use whatever I have. Currently I shift bewteen a LowePro and Tenbo backpack for hiking. Around town it is a Timbuk2 with an insert. That can hold the camera with lens and the 60-250. I don't know how much larger the 70-200 is over the 60-250.

Your thread popped up when I was on the K-1 images thread.

Have you already found your bag? LowePros are actually very industrial. You can't go wrong with them.

Regarding the velcro dividers, usually, packing cells provide extra velcro dividers. I use extra ones from another packing cell for my EDC backpack.
Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes I did. On a recommendation from PentaxForums, I went with a Lowepro Nova 200 AWii. It's a biggish drop-in, over the shoulder bag, but I was able to get all the glass in if I so desire. It occurred to me after my post that I have a few left over dividers in a box upstairs, so I can customize further if needs be.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes I did. On a recommendation from PentaxForums, I went with a Lowepro Nova 200 AWii. It's a biggish drop-in, over the shoulder bag, but I was able to get all the glass in if I so desire. It occurred to me after my post that I have a few left over dividers in a box upstairs, so I can customize further if needs be.
Can't go wrong with LowePro. They're highly rated for a reason. They also have such bleeding-edge design.

Back