Baseball, Milwaukee & Cartier-Bresson

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
Finally my love of baseball, living in Milwaukee and enjoying the photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson has a point of intersection. Here's a link to the photospread he shot in Milwaukee for Sports Illustrated in 1957. Pages 14-26 contain the photos, but you may as well page through the whole magazine......even the advertisements are worth a look.

While I'm not a sports fan you posting this may have answered something I've been pondering this week about SI. It was announced this week that SI has been sold but in a strange business deal the magazine publishing goes to one company while the SI assets & branding (basically everything except the actual printed magazine) went to a different company. The company that now owns the SI assets is the same company that controls the branding assets of icons like Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, and others.

I had been wondering why the heck they'd be interested in the SI assets if not the actual magazine. I see now that, thanks to that photo spread, they actually have a treasure trove of images that could be used for sports nostalgia collectors for products with the SI branding on it. I can see them doing with the SI brand what Coca-Cola has done with licensing their branding for products that they never actually made but collectors buy anyway.

Back