Fuji basic xpro1 question

rbelyell

All-Pro
hello

i'm moving in the direction of picking up an xpro1 to use primarily with legacy glass. i have and love the x100, not only for its IQ, but for the analogue user experience, and i'm itching to replicate that experience with the xp1 and some very nice legacy glass i have.

the basic question is ability to use legacy glass with the ovf: can one call up particular framelines equal to the FL of non fuji legacy glass? and if so, does the particular FL youve called up translate into the camera's on screen DOF scale that pops up when set to manual focus?

thanks so much!

The OVF supports FLs between 18 and 60mm. You can enter the value in the lens menu, and the brightframe will adapt accordingly. Of course, there is no parallax compensation, no focus confirmation, no electronic distance scale and no digital DOF scale available, as you are using legacy glass. So you either zone focus or focus with the EVF, typically using the the magnifier or focus peaking for precision.

thank you so much! wow, nothing over 60mm, huh? my main goal was to use it as a digital back for my 75mm zeiss biotar...rats!

i thought i had read early on that parallax comp was added as a firmware update--only with fuji af lenses?

PC was there right from the beginning, of course only for native lenses, anything else would be pure magic. ;) The camera can't read a legacy lens' mind. :)

am i incorrect to assume that PC would work the same on a given rf camera for any lens at a given FL? if so, why wouldnt it be possible digitally if one is able to 'dial in' a FL understood by the camera?

Rangefinder cameras feature mechanical parallax correction of the bright frame. The same hardware mechanism that transmits the selected focal distance to the rangefinder patch is used to mechanically shift the brightframe. Of course, this only works with native M lenses on M mount cameras. That's why you will have to use the EVF or LCD display of a Leica M 240 in combination with the new R mount adapter and R lenses.

The X-Pro1 isn't a rangefinder camera, and it has no M mount. It's native lens system is called X-mount, and it's fully electronic, like most current systems.

Here's more information on Leica M rangefinder parallax correction: How is parallax correction done in Leica M?

yes, i know the fuji isnt a rf, but it does correct parallax for native mount lenses through some electronic procedure i dont understand, but must somehow be based on the FL of the x mount lens used. if one could 'dial in' the supported FL of a legacy non x mount lens, is it not possible to engineer the same PC the camera would apply to an x mount lens of the same FL? i understand fuji doesnt do this, but might it not be possible? just interesting as a matter of engineering theory...

A camera needs to know the focusing distance of the lens to apply parallax correction; not possible with a manual lens and a "dumb" adapter. As you focus closer the angle between the lens, the subject, and the viewfinder increases and this is what parallax correction is compensating for.

Exactly. So the only practical method to of achieving PC would be to manually read the distance off the lens (after focussing) and then type this distance into the camera before taking the shot, so it can move the bright frame in order to better reflect what's actually going to be in the image. Obviously, this is no viable solution to the problem, that's why the only parameter that the user can tell the camera is the focal length in order to determine the size of the bright frame. But only between 18 and 60mm.

Back