Sony Battery running down while camera Off

Darrylp

I'm encountering a result which I've not experienced previously with other cameras.

With a battery more than 75% charged and my RX-100 switched off, after a few weeks (3 to 4) when I switch back on the camera for the first time, the battery is flat.

Is this a known problem, have I setup something incorrectly in the camera that's chewing up the battery or do I perhaps have a faulty battery.

Darryl

Darryl,

I read about an all-weather camera the other day that maintains its GPS connection even when the camera is switched off.

I'm not saying that is the reason for your battery drain, I just thought it might be a possibility . . .

Cheers, Jock

Thanks Luke but mine hasn't been out in the cold and it still drained over a very short time.

I bought a new battery and we'll see when I return from a vacation at the End of January.

Jock the RX-100 doesn't have GPS but thanks for the interest anyway.

Regards
Darryl

1) RX-100 does not have a GPS
2) Lithium batteries have a very low self-discharge rate (this means that they do not just run down if left, unlike NiCd, NiMh, etc)

Having said that, the camera's off-button is not really a power switch. This means that there is some circuitry monitoring the state of the ON button. Also the real-time-clock will use a small amount of power.

The solution is to shoot more - don't leave your camera turned off for 3-4 weeks at a time -- turn it on every day and shoot!

The other battery-draining problem can be caused by the image replay button being inadvertently pressed. This works separately from - i.e. is independent of - the power button. I found on one occasion that my battery had totally discharged, and put it down to this, as the camera was (in its case) underneath a couple of other items. It's worth checking that the back of the camera can't be pressed by anything whilst not being used! Apart from that one time, I've had no problem, even after 3 weeks of not using the camera and leaving it with only a partial charge

Back