Sigma Beach City Brewery

I like it, Brian, looks like a modern alchemist's idea of an indoor 'Biergarten', but lacks the mandatory trees. So what do you get for those 5-7 dollars on the sign? A pint of beer? Back home on the island I get a bottle or glass (0.33l) of the local brews for 1-1.40€ which these days is more or less the same in US$ (ouch).

Ah yes, but how's the beer? Proximity helps, of course.
Well that is the ultimate question isn't it? The beer is very fine indeed, Killramsey. I prefer the Hang 5 IPA because I am a dyed in the wool IPA man. There is a hint of citrus in it, which I like very much. However, all the beers I have tried at Beach City Brewery have been fine examples of their type. Thank you for commenting.

I like it, Brian, looks like a modern alchemist's idea of an indoor 'Biergarten', but lacks the mandatory trees. So what do you get for those 5-7 dollars on the sign? A pint of beer? Back home on the island I get a bottle or glass (0.33l) of the local brews for 1-1.40€ which these days is more or less the same in US$ (ouch).
Thank you SnapDawg. I understand the comparison. It is a lovely thing that has blossomed in these United States over the past few years with micro-breweries popping up all over the place. This country certainly has its faults, but the growth of the micro-brew industry is not one of them. Yes those dollar numbers signify the cost of the brew, most often by the pint but for legal reasons some of the higher alcohol brews can only be sold in half pint or maybe 12oz measures.

Looks appealing. In Oz most of the successful boutique brewers have been bought out by the big brands - some never to be seen again.
That happened here in USA also, bilzmale, with companies like Anheuser Busch, Miller and Coors buying up smaller breweries until very few remained and there was little to be said for the lousy beers these three companies made available nationally on the whole. (My opinion.) On top of that, then we had the thing where breweries such as the above-mentioned struck deals with European and Japanese brands to brew "under license." So, half the beers you get now that you think are European are actually brewed by Miller or A-B or Molton (I think it is) up in Canada. So it's great to see these tiny breweries now springing up (there are hundreds of them in California alone) and providing fresh and unique local beers of generally outstanding quality. Above all the atmosphere in these micro-breweries (usually to be found in small warehouse buildings in industrial parks) is always wholesome with a nice balance of genders, ages and species. (People bring their dogs often.) Thanks for the comments bilzmale.

I really liked Henry Weinhard - we got that from somewhere local when I worked on Pico Blvd. next to the Beverly Hillcrest circa 1985. When I was in Seal Beach ca. 2005 I couldn't find my favorite so I settled for Sam Adams Light. Although it's a light beer it's fattening. Those 2 beers had a similar taste - most other beers, like Amstel Light for instance, just had a weird flavor.

I really liked Henry Weinhard - we got that from somewhere local when I worked on Pico Blvd. next to the Beverly Hillcrest circa 1985. When I was in Seal Beach ca. 2005 I couldn't find my favorite so I settled for Sam Adams Light. Although it's a light beer it's fattening. Those 2 beers had a similar taste - most other beers, like Amstel Light for instance, just had a weird flavor.
Weinhard was ultimately bought over by Miller. (Boo!) I think it is still around though. Not sure. I agree about the Amstel Light. Thanks for the comments dalethorn.

Very cool. Here in Huntsville, AL, we've had about 7 breweries pop up in the last 4 or 5 years. I'm a dark beer kind of guy, but mostly IPAs and light ales are what the brew. A few brew some darker ales or Porters which I do like.

Here in Charleston SC there are several micro-breweries that get represented in my favorite indie coffee shop downtown.

Here in Charleston SC there are several micro-breweries that get represented in my favorite indie coffee shop downtown.

Westbrook is an amazingly good little brewery, especially their One Claw. I couldn't suck down enough of it when I visited last year.

Beer is a big hobby of mine. For reference, in the 1890's the US was up to about 2,000 breweries, largely because without refrigeration you couldn't ship it very far before it spoiled, so you had to have a ton of regionals. Once refer train cars became common, they began a period of consolidation that, in combination with the 13 year hiatus known as Prohibition, managed to bring that number from over 2k down to about 70 breweries left in the US in 1970. It took an underground (illegal) group of homebrewers around San Fran to bring it all back, starting with one brewery (New Albion) which showed everyone that it was a thing that was at least theoretically possible... New Albion failed a few years later, but their buddies Anchor and Sierra Nevada didn't.

Majors are losing share every year, and not growing sales, going back to about 2009. Only micros are growing sales and share, and by double digits annually ever year. For those owners of micros who become nationally successful, brewing between 30,000 and 100,000 barrels a year, they have the alluring possibility of selling out to one of the majors for millions. Some do it, as Elysian in Portland just did (and in their case, the employees found out about it when it hit the press... which is a textbook case of how not to do it). In the case of New Belgium in Fort Collins CO, the owner gathered everyone together, handed them envelopes, and had them open them to discover she'd split the brewery ownership shares evenly amongst them, meaning it's owned by them collectively and cannot be bought out unless they all vote it.

Fun Final Side Note: Bud bought Elysian. They paid $30M. Several weeks later, they aired an infuriatingly stupid ad during the superbowl aggressively making fun of craft beer and its adoring fans, specifically saying "you can have your peach pumpkin ale, we'll take our" whatever beer. Elysian, who they just bought, actually makes a peach pumpkin beer. ... the ad cost $8M

I was born and bred in a little european town with around 100 (ex-)breweries, but I truly enjoyed the micro breweries during my time in the US, especially Gordon Biersch in San Jose, Ca. IMO their beers are just as excellent as the stuff I grew up with and I'm half Bohemian:drinks:

Speaking of Bohemians I visited Prague last summer. What a place for beer drinkers!
Isn't Prague a terrific place? Back where I stayed the last time they were having their first pintS at around 7 in the morning. Back home in Las Palmas they're only starting at 7.30 with their first double rum, lol. I rather stick with my yerba mate.

Back