Been completely out of the loop for a while.

Thanks Brian, my daugher is indeed growing up fast. Her 4th birthday which we spent in lockdown:

View attachment 287160

News of M11 was what snapped me back into the photography world, mostly out of curiousity. Performance-wise, I've been happy with the M10 so I was never seriously considering the M11.

I should catch up with where the Sony A7 series are now. I'm not very interested in the A7 cameras for still photography but last I checked, they were really performing well as filmmaking cameras too. That reminds me - I should check in on Phillip Bloom to see where he's at with the latest filmmaking tech.

Vintage lenses? Are Canon 50mm LTMs still cheap?
That is the cutest picture I've seen in some time! Made me chuckle. Nicely captured.

Great photos. Love the 16mm Sigma.

I've been out of it too. Lockdown and little time for photography with work. Like Brian said, some vintage lenses have gone insane.

I came down with COVID in mid-December and it went through my whole family. I'm 68. Triple vaxxed Pfizer. Lost taste and smell. Fatigue, brain fog, congestion. It took 3 weeks to feel OK. My 11 year old daughter had bad headache, tested positive, she sneezed 2 days and got better. My 14 year old son had terrible sore throat. Was listless in bed 5 days, on the 6th day he got up, played games on his gaming computer all night and was done with it.

I wistfully look at my huge lens and camera collection and wish I was younger and could haul them all around. Oh, I also shook off the COVID. Scary stuff. I watched my blood oxygen with an oximeter like a hawk. Too many stories of guys like me feeling fine, then all of a sudden their blood Oxygen is down to dangerous numbers and they drop dead. Well, not this time, anyway.

Here's me and my son a few years ago, when I was still taking pictures with my cameras and not my phone.

Max_me.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:eek:

Last edited:
I came down with COVID in mid-December and it went through my whole family. I'm 68. Triple vaxxed Pfizer. Lost taste and smell. Fatigue, brain fog, congestion.

Holy shit man glad to know you're ok.

I'm doubled vaxxed and due for a further booster shot soon. I think I had a very mild case of COVID a few weeks ago. The symptoms seemed very similar to someone else I know who had COVID but for me the worst of it was over in a couple of days. It took me another week or so to fully get back to normal.

Yikes, I don't want to hear that. I'm passing toward my upper 30s and we still think of kids as a future possibility. Oh well, that's just going to have to be how it is.

I'll tell you exactly what I regret the most - it's that my daughter is an only child. Throughout the COVID lockdowns there wasn't another child in the house she could play with. She will not have any brothers or sisters because we're too old to safely have more children. And when my wife and I are long gone, our daughter won't have any immediate family to connect with. Our time with her in this world is also greatly reduced.

I recall when my wife was pregnant with her, every doctor we went to see for a checkup or a scan, sat up when they realised how old we were. Every single one of them gave us the standard warning about our age and showed us the age+pregnancy chart re the greatly increased chances of issues with the pregnancy and greatly increased chances of potential health issues in our child. It was kinda scary sitting through all these obligatory warnings every single appointment we had.

Fortunately for us, our daughter was born perfectly healthy and she continues to be so, four years on.

So speaking from our experience, I'd encourage people to have kids earlier rather than later, if possible.

I was 33 when I had my first. I have less energy now (almost 50) than I would have if my kid were born when I was 23, but I also have more patience and money than I did then. Some of the trade-offs aren't too bad.

33 is a decent age I think, for both parents.

I also have less energy and am almost 50.

I do have more money now, but instead of having more patience, I've been turning into a grumpy old man as I age in some ways. I've seen many things, I am jaded and cynical. I do have a bit more self-confidence in myself as time goes on but it also means I'm less likely to put up with BS.

Back